1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Less Fruit & Veg, and More Pizza & Fries!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Jan 19, 2020.

1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I suspect this has a lot more to do with the fact that Michelle Obama championed healthier eating in schools than giving schools "more flexibility and reduce waste" as Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said. Typical Trump spite. Everything that is part of the Obamas' legacy must be destroyed, no matter how mindless and self-destructive that destruction is. 30 million children will have a worse diet thanks to Trump's monstrous ego.

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/w...ichelle-obama-guidelines-on-school-nutrition/

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Let's drop Jamie on the White House!

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Does any country in the world have a less healthy outlook to food than the USA ?

Sally006 likes this.
  4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It's said that by 2030, 50% of Americans will be obese. I don't personally think such an abitious weight loss target is achievable in ten years.

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We spent a month travelling around in the USA three summers ago. I freely admit I am partial to the odd burger and pizza but after a week or so we were really fed up with the unhealthy nature (and enormous quantities) of a lot of the food. In one place we went into we were served enough for about 10 people (there were 3 of us).

...and yes - there is a serious obesity issue in the states.

6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Oh Dear.
    Poor people are fat.
    Relatively better off people are fat.
    Anyone now* can be fat because food is abundant and cheap, and exercise is no longer necessary.

*My sincere apologies to people who won't be reading this because they are obligate poor and hungry.

7. Aquamarina1234

Just wrote a long post. Vanished.

8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Don't get me wrong here, the home cooking is wonderful and a labour of love, but if you spend a week in Moscow and eat out every day you do actually end up morphing into an uncooked pastry,and on your return it takes about seven months before you can eat actual vegetables again without them giving you hives.

caress and blazer like this.
  9. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

We had a similar experience. Also there’s an obsession with having cheese on everything.

caress likes this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I do actually like cheese - but not on everything.

Jamvic likes this.
  11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Some years back, I was told by US teachers, the City of Chicago designated Ketchup as a vegetable to meet school lunch standards.

12. Aquamarina1234

I started again and again it not just vanished, but vanished. Am wondering if It Was Vanished.
    General text was c&p on other place.
    BUT lets try this again. US experience suggests their really max obesity has come on bc they enjoy the to-my-door deliciousness we're only recently getting. But theyre not just fat. They are fat past the point any NHS doc would have felt they cd not refer.

13. colacao17

colacao17 Occasional commenter

They don't have good healthcare. You've got to die of something, might as well be obesity related.

14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Although in the states it's not actually proper cheese, rather, it's
    [​IMG]

"cheese"

needabreak, nizebaby, lanokia and 3 others like this.
  15. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

They’ve got great healthcare. If you can afford it.

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It will be like that here soon.

nizebaby and Jamvic like this.
  17. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Us. In certain areas, our obesity rate is higher (according to a nurse lecturer from one such area). And many teachers has explained how parents try to destroy the healthy eating plans at their school.

18. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Maybe. An American friend of mine said that women without healthcare who lose babies are treated better than here-a woman going into ER there sayig she thought she was miscarrying was immediately seen by a doctor and put on a drip while tests were carried out. Here, women are left sitting in A&E, terrified their baby is going to come out in front of a waiting room full of strangers, then told by a doctor to come back on Monday as they won't help them if it's the weekend. Lots of those waiting might have been their due to obesity issues, before we're too quick to criticise Americans.

19. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

At least here getting divorced, or losing a job doesn't affect your eligibility for healthcare.

Jamvic likes this.
  20. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Was it Trump or Sonny Perdue? Your post is unclear about this.