1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Less frequently asked questions

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ilovesooty, Feb 17, 2004.

1. After conception the developing embryo follows a female template. It is only after 6-8 weeks that the effect of a gene on the Y chromosome kicks in for boy embryos. This gene stimulates the production and influence of hormones such as testosterone which 'masculinise' the embryo by altering physical development to form male features.

But nipples are formed very early in the embryo, before this masculinisation process takes place, and nothing that goes on later in fetal development reverses nipple formation.

So the story that God made Eve from Adam's rib got it the wrong way round. Males are an adaptation of females and the nipples are just one piece of evidence of this.

Evolution may hold an answer.
    (Source BBC)

That last sentence is interesting.

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Americans would say aluminium if they spelled it aluminIum. However they spell it ALUMINUM and so their pronounciation is correct (for them). But do they say pronownsiashun or pronunsiashun?

3. Well I can answer a few of those questions anyway...

The thingies on the end of shoelaces are called aglets.

I think fish do sleep - my pet fish seem to sleep anyway. At about 7.30pm every night they float down to the bottom of the tank and stay perfectly still with their eyes open until about 6am the following morning.

If you were on a plane travelling at the speed of sound and you walked from the back of the plane to the front, you would be travelling forward faster than the speed of sound. Your total speed would be the speed at which the plane was travelling plus the speed at which you were walking forward.

"If you're travelling at the speed of light and you turn your headlights on, what happens?" is an irrelevant question, because only massless particles can travel at the speed of light, there simply isn't enough energy available to accelerate a car to that speed.

"If the universe is expanding, what is it expanding into?" It isn't expanding into anything, there isn't anything outside of the universe for it to expand into.

Unfortunately the answers to the other questions are beyong my limited knowledge :)-)

4. I read this as well, that the spelling aluminum has been scrapped! Although I dunno why I would have read it and don't know where and dont really know why. :O#

5. nit

nit

Fantastic!...I love threads like this!

Are Santa's helpers called subordinate clauses?

And if you fail to pay your exorcist, do you get repossessed?

Why do men's ears get bigger the older they are? (I know the answer to that one, actually)

And why is it that they lose the hair on their heads but gain it in their ears, noses and on their backs? Ugh!

6. nit

nit

And what happens if you get scared half to death twice?

How does Teflon stick to the pan?

How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink?

If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?

Why do psychics have to ask you for your name?

And what's the speed of dark?

Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

7. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Of course, aglets!

Why are men embarassed about hair loss, yet proud of every other effect of testosterone?

8. heartfelt

heartfelt New commenter

The answer I came up with for the chicken and egg is that they both evolved together, so neither came first. Don`t know what a scientific expert would say. Regarding the male nipple phenomena, I wondered if way back in the evolutionary chain, species were hermaphrodite before the division of the sexes, and that left vestigial features.

9. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Oh dear. At least debate arrived at the true name for the shoelace thingies - aglets! I like it!
    Nipples; humans are one SPECIES coded by a single DNA pattern. Development embryonically is common to about 6-8 weeks then testosterone is produced to produce male naughty bits, or no testodterone = female naughty bits. Prior to this the bits are sort of a hermaphrodite precursor which can go either way: like penis is a homologue of clitoris (same origin, similar wiring, looks different). Breasts only appear with female hormone triggers in puberty, but it all start way back with essentially the same bits. Get in touch with your male or female side as appropriate.
    Chcken and egg; you have to go back to the development of the cleidoic egg in some amphibian/reptile transition species. Basically it is a stupid question! Keep it up peoples, there is some fascinating stuff coming through.

10. Admin Princess

Admin Princess Occasional commenter

Okay, I admit it, I was wrong about the flugel binders.

The bit about milking a man made me laugh out loud, as reminded me of "Meet The Parents", and Greg Fokker milking the cat.

11. zenzuata

zenzuata New commenter

(I would never have developed a crush on you had I read this one ...)

12. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

where does the white go when snow melts?

what colour is a mirror?

Is there still a colour we havent see? or sound we havent heard?

13. zenzuata

zenzuata New commenter

(Turns purpleuceorangreen and melts with a zznnghzngh sound whilst looking at that colour in the mirror)

14. Why do Americans call it 'erbal instead of herbal, and why 'oreGGanno instead of oregano.
    Amongst other irritants. eg 'On Christmas'.

Annoys me that they change film titles to suit the American market too.

15. Schedule

16. Chicken/Egg debate.
    The first chicken came from an egg, this egg was laid (layed) by a bird which whist still being the origin of todays chickens, was not 100% full chicken and as such, the mutation from this mother bird, born as chicken was the parent of all chickenkind from that point forward.
    Therefore, the Egg came first as prior to this there were no chickens. QED

Also,
    If a man is speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Mike

17. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Where did you find this three year old thread, mike?

18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

What is the point of Paris Hilton?
    What is the point of Chewbacca? He just spends all three movies stumbling around saying Raaaaargh.
    If music be the food of love, why can't rabbits sing?
    How many years of my life have I wasted trying to open Sainsburys shopping bags?

..and on the subject of offbeat ponderings, this quote from Emo Philips:
    "I used to think that the brain was the most wonderful organ in my body.
    Then I realised who was telling me this".

19. Just popped up and had to read it.
    Got a smile anyway
    :)