1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Less frequently asked questions

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ilovesooty, Feb 17, 2004.

1. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Do ducks sneeze?

If you're named Will and you are in the army do you get worried when people say fire at will?

What are those little things on the end of your shoelaces called?

If a tree falls down in a forest where no-one is there to hear it, does it still make a sound?

If anything's possible, then is it possible that nothing's possible?

Do fish sleep?

Isn't it scary that the word "therapist" is the words "the" and "rapist" put together?

Do birds pee?

Why are things typed up but written down?

If you were on a plane going the speed of sound and walked from the back of the plane to the front, would you be travelling forward faster than the speed of sound?

If the universe is expanding, what is it expanding into?

What does okay actually mean?

And what does hello mean?

Why do people always put on an American accent when they sing?

If a person owns a piece of land do they own it all the way down to the core of the earth?

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out"?
    By the way the answer is probably the calf.

Where in the nursery rhyme does it say humpty dumpty is an egg?

If quizzes are quizzical then what are tests?

If you take a shower, where do you put it?

If you're travelling at the speed of light and you turn your headlights on, what happens?

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Do ducks sneeze?

If you're named Will and you are in the army do you get worried when people say fire at will?

What are those little things on the end of your shoelaces called?

If a tree falls down in a forest where no-one is there to hear it, does it still make a sound?

If anything's possible, then is it possible that nothing's possible?

Do fish sleep?

Isn't it scary that the word "therapist" is the words "the" and "rapist" put together?

Do birds pee?

Why are things typed up but written down?

If you were on a plane going the speed of sound and walked from the back of the plane to the front, would you be travelling forward faster than the speed of sound?

If the universe is expanding, what is it expanding into?

What does okay actually mean?

And what does hello mean?

Why do people always put on an American accent when they sing?

If a person owns a piece of land do they own it all the way down to the core of the earth?

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out"?
    By the way the answer is probably the calf.

Where in the nursery rhyme does it say humpty dumpty is an egg?

If quizzes are quizzical then what are tests?

If you take a shower, where do you put it?

If you're travelling at the speed of light and you turn your headlights on, what happens?

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

3. Ooooh, my head is hurting...

4. Sorry - but my all time favourite is:

How do flies land on the ceiling?
    Do they swoop as if doing a loop-the-loop, or roll over to get their legs up towards the ceiling?

It's always fascinated me!!!

(As I've just said in another thread - time to take the tablets again!!!! LOL )

5. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Answers;
    yes
    if you are a dork
    blobbidles
    yes
    yes
    yes
    no
    no
    stupid language [english]
    yes
    space
    from some ancient greek meaning yes absolutely
    hello
    their pants are too tight
    no (mining may occur under it)
    caveman called Ug
    it doesn't, just traditionally drawn that way, based on Prince of Wales (fatty) circa 1800
    testing (nofooli)
    could also apply to "the stairs" i.e take the stairs
    E=mc2
    the dinosaur
    any more?

6. I hope you're not going to turn out to be one of these people when asked "How are you?" actually tells me.

Have never given the fly issue any thought before; am now looking forward to the arrival of summer so I can watch!

7. Why do Americans insist on calling the subject Math? It sounds unfinished!!

8. A chicken and an egg are lying in bed. The chicken is leaning against the headboard smoking a cigarette, with a satisfied smile on its face.

The egg, looking a bit ****** off, grabs the sheet, rolls over, and says "Well, it looks like we finally answered THAT question!"

Sorry ;)

9. I think flies do a half-loop, rather than a roll
    Why can't Americans say aluminium?
    Why do I have nipples?
    Why do the FAQ sections of any website or help link never answer the question you need to ask, like why is your service so ****e.

10. That one about written down and typed up...because you look down when you're hand writing, and look up (to the screen) when you're typing?

Help me! It's half-term and I'm still in teacher mode!

11. Annamarie - loved that!! Thanks :)

12. Admin Princess

Admin Princess New commenter

jacob is very much mistaken in his answer to the question "What are those little things on the end of your shoelaces called?" As Tom Cruise confirms in that fine film "Cocktail", the answer is 'FLUGEL BINDERS.'

13. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Adam Hart-Davies did a programme on flies landing on the ceiling, nollie.

And I used to know another name for what the things on the end of shoelaces are called, but can't recall it now. Will try not to wonder about it.

...If people can own land, what about the air that blows over it? And if they can own a river, when does the water become someone else's?

14. If a tree falls in the woods but there is no one around to hear it, does it make a sound?

15. Yeah. But no one hears it. It still creates the sound waves. Don't it?

16. Why does Dubya keep saying "Noo-killer" for "nuclear"? It's not even phonetic.

17. Neither is what I'd like to call him although the tw blend at the beginning...
    Only joking George, if you're listening.
    You probably are.

18. manfred, presuming you ARE a man, your nipples will actually express milk, if sucked hard enough and for long enough. I am reliably informed that this takes a week, but I haven't personally tried it out!

Not sure that it's the reason you actually have them, but it's one of those nuggets of information that it can be amusing to possess!

HTH, Moobles x

19. I think I read somewhere that all embryos start out female and therefore have nipples. When the male chromosome kicks in they cease to develop any further.
    (I might be totally off track here by the way)

20. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

it's called the Adam principle.