1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesbian TV ads

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Sep 18, 2020.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Ok....before I start I just want to say I am the least homophobic person you will ever meet. I have a huge number of gay friends and relations so please don't post that I am homophobic.
    I just can'y help but notice the increasing number of TV adverts featuring lesbian couples................Renault, Virgin and Pandora.
    I have not problem with this per se, but I cannot recall any showing male couples.
    Lots of single parent ads. Furthermore, those showing heterosexual couples are usually mixed race. Again, no problem as my own nephew is mixed race, but it's almost as if an Anglo Saxon British heterosexual couple is simply unfashionable.
    Show all kinds yes.......................but all kinds, including male couples and....dare I say it..............white heterosexual couples.
    I repeat, nothing homophobic or racist here, but as a happily married white woman to a white male I'm beginning to feel left out!

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

It is unfashionable.

3. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

Reactionary pendulum swings tend to go too far, initially at least.

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I agree. There should be more male couples shown in the ads. I assume showing 2 women in a couple is seen as more acceptable and less challenging?

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

A YouGov survey of 1000 adverts found that only 3% show homosexual couples.

Homosexual couples make up 6% of the population.

Don't panic.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    vannie, knitone, colacao17 and 5 others like this.
  6. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

Non-issue. First world problem. Some of my best friends are Jews.......

Jolly_Roger15 and agathamorse like this.
  7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

There's a fair bit of catching up to do @BelleDuJour . Of course I notice it too. I also noticed the other day when a BBC journalist was interviewing a politician and they both had Asian heritage. This is the world we live in and need to embrace. Diversity, yes it's "fashionable" and it's also important, there is so much adjustment for people to do. (Lots of casual sexism, racism and homophobia thriving in S Warks) No need for a straight white woman to feel left out, the privilege scales are still heavily weighted on our side.

8. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

There was a bank advert (can't remember which one) a few months ago, which showed a man proposing to his male partner and the bank itself then had tie-in posters with "He said Yes!" on them.
    But I agree, male gay couples seem to be less in evidence in adverts.

strawbs, agathamorse and BelleDuJour like this.
  9. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

There are quite a few female sportswomen who have come out as gay (certainly in cricket & football), but very few indeed male players.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Benefit of not watching broadcast TV... didn't know this was a thing.

T34 and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  11. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

So it's good that the balance is being redressed after all these decades then, isn't it. White heterosexual couples have been presumed to be the norm for so very many years, and so very many people who are 'other' have been not only made to feel left out, but have actually been left out, of so very many aspects of life. I am delighted to see such a variety of 'normal' now being depicted on TV/radio/film, even if it doesn't fit with my own personal experience of life. But then I don't think everything is about me.

12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Indeed.

13. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

There again, why do we need to take the entirely bogus values of the world of advertising as any kind of social comment? All advertisements are lies - sometimes ornately dressed, artfully composed and often laughably pretentious [notably those for over-priced toilet-water and cars]. Orwell had it right - it's the rattling of the stick in the pig-swill bucket. Taking it seriously is liable to make the whole industry even more self-important than it is.

14. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Have you got a link to this? I realize You Gov carry out many a survey but I wonder why they did one on this particular subject. Was it in response to a complaint or an inquiry or did they just do it for the lols. Thanks in anticipation.:)

15. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

It's still attractive women paraded to get male attention as in so much advertising over the years.

Jolly_Roger15 and sodalime like this.
  16. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

It is right and proper for any industry or group of people to encourage diversity, but as advert makers are probably amongst the most cynical of professions -- smoking (though in the past now, but not everywhere), alcohol, gambling (particularly on line at the moment), over use of fossil fuels, body image shamers, unhealthy live styles in processed foods, the current crop of politicians, week day lenders, you name it, they promote it -- they will either continue with using diversity or they will turn to other means to sell their products depending on if it brings in the 30 pieces of silver. Time will tell.

monicabilongame likes this.
  17. Oscillatingass

I guess the advertisers are following the woke trend of the mainstream media. They create a vision of life in the UK that reflects their fantasy rather than reality. 86% of UK households are white British according to You Gov but you would never know it from the current crop of adverts. Of course it is important to feature diversity in adverts but maybe adverts that reflect the majority of the population could appear on some occasions so that the majority feel they are represented rather than being "unfashionable".

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

But it wasn't used because it was "the norm" ... it was used because it was "the majority" ... the advertiser sought to appeal to the widest possible demographic and in the UK that was white heterosexual couples.

So it followed that gay and minority consumers argued that the products didn't appeal to them because "representation". So we now get adverts that try to appeal to those groups.

But if people from the original group then complain and say "this doesn't appeal to me" that is a legitimate gripe, because it was treated as a legit gripe when the minority group use to complain about lack of representation. But instead of treating that fairly and openly we instead now have a culture where raising the issue results in accusations of "bigoted", "small minded", "homophobic" etc. [not you Monica] ... descriptors that were not used when minority groups complained at predominantly white heterosexual representations in media.

19. Oscillatingass

You express this issue very clearly, Lan. :)

Alice K, EmanuelShadrack and lanokia like this.
  20. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Advertisers generally try to appeal to the group that buys the most product. If that turned out to be homosexuals, we'd be seeing a hell of a lot more representation in ads. It won't though because they're only 6%. The only reasons they're appearing now is either they're a missed demographic that hasn't been milked yet, or "woke" tokenism.

peter12171 and EmanuelShadrack like this.