1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Les Mis

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Laphroig, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

Ok, after the abomination of the recent Christie, how watchable is the new Les Mis? I tried the Christie twice and am still having problems sleeping so don’t want to risk a repetition. You see, my thinking is, if you are going to dramatise someone else’s work, at least stick to the original.

2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I liked it!

Mangleworzle likes this.
  3. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

There was no singing. The scriptwriters cut all the songs.

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Me too, looking forward to the rest of it.

Laphroig and Dunteachin like this.
  5. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I watched it and enjoyed it. Time will tell though if I keep watching it over the next 5 episodes.

Dunteachin likes this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I might try it.

My only problem is the trailers - the sets look very poor and low-budget. But the reviews seem positive.

Mind you, so was press reaction to ABC Murders so that's meaningless.

Dunteachin likes this.
  7. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Good. Seen the one with songs and on stage and who can top Susan Boyle. At least its still set in France. I thought it was good.

Dunteachin likes this.
  8. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

I believe the low budget sets are Belgium.

9. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

Oh, good. I’ll give it a go. Thanks for the encouragement.

10. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Lol!

11. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I can't watch it. Too much injustice. I hate injustice; it tears at my soul. I read the book when I was 16 just after my O levels. Started it in French; loved it so much that I needed to finish it faster so switched to the English version after 180 pages. Stayed up 3 nights running with maybe an hour here and there sleeping; sobbed my heart out.

12. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I love the music in the stage version. I recall a version if Les Mis in black and white when I was very, very young ( Sunday night serial ) and an episode that haunts me to this day ( possibly featuring a young Michelle Dortrice but I may be mistaken with this ? ) I am sure the Davies adaptation is a class act but not sure I am seeking this kind of entertainment currently and of course I know what happens .

13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

@minnie me

What a memory you have!

Dotrice was Fantine in 1967. Episode 4. Frank Finlay was Valjean. And she must have been 18 when they filmed it.

14. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I liked it and will look forward to the next episode. I like a good drama to end the weekend. Les Mis is my all time favourite musical (I've seen it 4 times) and I also enjoyed the film. I've never read the book, so some of it was new to me - but it's worth a watch.

Is anyone else thinking that every time they turn on the TV, the main channels are repeating something that was on less than a week ago?

monicabilongame likes this.
  15. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I watched it and quite liked it. Andrew Davies is our town's local celebrity. He came and spoke to U3A and was very normal, not starry at all.

mindymole likes this.
  16. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Actually I really do ( have incredible recall ) my college and school friends comment that it is phenomenal- blessing / curse ;) ? . The episode where she sold her teeth / hair for money marked me it seems for life ?!

17. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Yes, I wondered last night just how graphic that episode will be in this series … might have to make a quick cuppa at that point!

minnie me likes this.
  18. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

I fell asleep watching it in the early hours of the morning. I’ll give it another go later.

19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I liked it. I must read it again.

20. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I enjoyed it to be fair. Not a fan of musicals so it was good with no music.

nomad likes this.