1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Length of advertisement

Discussion in 'Independent' started by ellan_girl, Mar 14, 2020.

1. ellan_girl

ellan_girl New commenter

Just curious here, but if a job has just been advertised but it’s only a week before closing date, how would you read that? It’s for August.

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Teachers in independent schools often have to give a full term's notice so, with the end of the Spring term not far away, that doesn't sound in the least unexpected. The person appointed will only just have enough time to hand in notice for their current job.

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Some adverts will also say that they won't wait for closing date if they have a good applicant. We are all keen to snap up good staff before the opposition does!

4. ellan_girl

ellan_girl New commenter

Ah of course it must be related to the notice period. Scottish state school teachers only have to give 4 weeks notice.

5. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

You know, I thought that was a myth. But I was interviewed for (along with four other candidates) and offered my last post a week before the original closing date...

6. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

If there's a good Physics teacher applying, grab them before they go elsewhere! This is a good reason for not leaving applications to the last minute.