1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Length MFL lessons in KS1

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by larnie, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Hi
    What is the recommended length of MFL lesson in KS1? I have a mixed Y1/2 class and tend to do German last part of the day 2.30-3pm. Is this what other people do? On a course they suggested 5-10 mins a day, but I show them a DVD which introduces the topic and then we follow it up with games / activities.

2. Hi
    What is the recommended length of MFL lesson in KS1? I have a mixed Y1/2 class and tend to do German last part of the day 2.30-3pm. Is this what other people do? On a course they suggested 5-10 mins a day, but I show them a DVD which introduces the topic and then we follow it up with games / activities.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I don't think there <u>is</u> a recommended length,we haven't even got statutory Primary languages yet, it was all put on hold after the last election!
    Personally, with children of that age, with their short concentration spans, I would elect for short and frequent but it really would depend on what you do with them. they'd probably watch a DVD for longer and of course games always catch their attention. Definitely no longer than half an hour.

4. runaway

runaway New commenter

Recommended is an hour per week but ideally not all in one go. In practice vast majority of schools go for 30min lesson and then 5/10min top-ups through the week during register, PE warm up etc. This is as per the legal entitlement which unlike the curriculum still stands and can be requested at any point by a parent governor or 'interested party' with links to the school.

As for the future -the review is very vague with yr5/6 looking like a definite but uncertainty over other year groups at present. Mind you Gove keeps mumbling about KS1...!

5. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

I teach Spanish to Y1 and Y2 as PPA cover. I have a TA with me. We start off with 15 mins all together doing a Take 10 and then introducing or practising the new language. Then the TA takes half the class to the library to sort out the library books and I do some more detailed work with the remaining half. After 15 mins we swap over. This seems to work pretty well. The tricky bit is when the Y2s move onto Y3 and need training to have hour-long lessons.

6. Thanks for your responses [​IMG]. Looks like 30 mins is about right then. We do practise through the week and answer the register in German. The children love the lesson and I enjoy teaching it so wouldn't mind if it became statutory :) Thanks again

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Just wanted to say 'Well done for keeping languages alive. Especially German!' Aufregend!

8. PARTALOA

PARTALOA New commenter

Hi, I teach Spanish to a small group of children (7-8 yera olds) in the community. We only have 30 min classes with music, games, little bit of writing, singing and conversation. I play a small song at the end of class with a little dance. They love it!! It's a shame my local schools won't let me in to teach though but if I can do my bit to bring on languages in children that's job satisfaction for me.