1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lemon Drizzle cake...why hasn't the sugar topping gone crispy?!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by the apprentice, Aug 12, 2011.

1. the apprentice

the apprentice New commenter

Made The Good Food Guide lemon drizzle cake and it's nearly cold in the cake tin. My son and l were hoping that the sugar and caster sugar topping would have gone 'white and crispy' by now..but it hasn't..any ideas what we've done wrong?

2. the apprentice

Made The Good Food Guide lemon drizzle cake and it's nearly cold in the cake tin. My son and l were hoping that the sugar and caster sugar topping would have gone 'white and crispy' by now..but it hasn't..any ideas what we've done wrong?

3. I love making lemon drizzle cake, it's a shame yours hasn't quite worked out. Did you use caster sugar or granulated? Granulated will give a crunchier topping. I stir the sugar into the lemon juice and add it spoon by spoon, waiting for it to dry somewhat between applications.
    I have seen recipes where the lemon juice and sugar are warmed together, I'm not sure how much difference this makes though.
    The recipe I follow is a Hairy Bikers one from their Mums Know Best cookbook.

4. the apprentice

It does taste good!! but we were hoping for the top to be all crunchy.... didn't think about using granulated sugar. l used caster sugar and a bit more lemon juice than it said..to get it extra tangy!! Maybe it was because l put it on too soon when it was slightly warm. Will google the hairy bikers one...thanks. Even thought about putting some more sugar syrup on it now to see if l can get it crunchy!!

5. the apprentice

Just found that recipe..and they put lemon juice mixed with icing sugar as an extra topping once cool and out of the tin, so l suppose l could do that...even though we eaten half of it!!!

6. Yep, always use 2 toppings, 1 for the lemony drizzle and one for the white crispy topping, both made with lemon juice, the last with icing sugar.
    If I was made of money I would have to take one of these to work every week - plus an orange version. I am now working on a lime version - weird but getting there!