1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lemmy's gone!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by GwydirStreet, Dec 29, 2015.

1. GwydirStreet

GwydirStreet Occasional commenter

Sad news . Dead just 2 days after being diagnosed with cancer. What a great man.

2. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

Live fast, die...at 70!!

R.I.P. Lemmy

rachelpaula008 likes this.
  3. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

I thought things had gone a bit quiet.

Top Rocker.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Other than a slight predeliction for collecting nazi memorabilia that is.

Motorhead were truly terrible live - the best sound quality was about half a mile down the road from the venue. There's loud and loud and they were LOUD.

I haven't left many gigs early but Motorhesd was one of them (and I speak as a fan of heavy metal).

5. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Where ever he may have gone - it'll have got just a wee bit louder!
    [​IMG]

There's an empty stool at the bar now.

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

My wife asked who he was. I vaguely knew.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Keith Richards has tweeted "I kksajklla sklfcxm1m 3gedg43j whdk\k\d Lemmy whsajhd 3kdskl c 23kjvh"

8. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

We also left a Motörhead gig (Hammersmith - ironically) due to the dreadful sound quality. Maybe it was the same one, Peakster!

Nevertheless, Lemmy really was one of a kind. God only knows how he lasted as long as he did!

9. Sisyphus_rolls_again

Sisyphus_rolls_again Established commenter

I don't think that gaining your approval was high on his 'to do' list.

les25paul and rachelpaula008 like this.
  10. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I went to (got dragged to) a Motorhead gig in the early 80s and spent the following week completely deaf! Bit unfortunate as I had a part time job in a pub and couldn't hear what people were ordering.

I wasn't a fan of him or his band but he seems to have lived life the way he wanted to and good for him. RIP.

11. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I wasn't a fan of Motorhead (or Hawkwind) and was the member of a club of one in some of the salubrious drinking holes I used to frequent during their hayday.

But I do like like this.

12. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

@RedQuilt - I also saw Motorhead in the early 80s and thought my hearing would never recover. I remember these huge speakers on either side of the stage and headbangers getting as close to them as possible.

He was a one-off. RIP.

13. eggyspice

eggyspice Occasional commenter

Yes, just played the old version of "Motorhead , and very sad to see him go. The one with the violins in it.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I had a couple of cases of "gig induced deafness" in the 80s and 90s but I've been much more careful since).The second one (can't remember the band actually) was pretty bad, three days after the event and all I could hear were a few squeaks and buzzes. After another couple of days my hearing returned but it was a scary week.

Motorhead (and a few other bands) were just about the volume but if you went to see other HM bands (Scorpions, UFO, Iron Maiden etc), you could actually enjoy the gig without feeling you had to get out as quickly as possible. Anyone who ever went to see Whitesnake for example (boy, could Mr Coverdale sing) would always talk about the quality of the sound.

Some bands still play too loud, I saw Starsailor (before they broke up) in a small venue and I had to retreat right to the back for most of the gig.

My experience of Motorhead (in about the 40 minutes I could stand it for) was listening to the same song, played at (slightly) different speeds at deafening volume.

Perhaps I'm getting old, I found Quo a bit loud last time and I must have seen them about six times.

15. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Dead man's hand...

16. Alf58

Alf58 Established commenter

Lemmy's doctor told him he should not drink a bottle of Jack Daniels a day because it was ruining his health. He switched to Vodka. Legend!!! Sloshed of York would approve :)

17. Sisyphus_rolls_again

Sisyphus_rolls_again Established commenter

Killed by death?

18. Horatio_Blows

Horatio_Blows Senior commenter

No doubt lost for words at the sad loss.

19. Horatio_Blows

Horatio_Blows Senior commenter

Definitely an original.