1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leicester SCITT

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by giddyG2001, Feb 23, 2012.

1. giddyG2001

giddyG2001 New commenter

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone on here has applied to the Leicester SCITT and what was/is the outcome? Mine got sent on the 8th Feb as I couldn't get into a school and they said they should be looking at it this week.

Anyone else had any experience of them?

2. Hi,
    I have passed the Stage 1 interview and have Stage 2 in about 10 days. How have you got on?

3. giddyG2001

giddyG2001 New commenter

Hi,

I actually had my stage 2 interview before Easter and got a place, yay, still can't believe it! Do you have to do a presentation, interview and task with the kids? That's what I had to do, let me know if you would like some tips on anything xx

4. I applied as a third choice, for the third year and was declined online within minutes!

5. giddyG2001

giddyG2001 New commenter

Yeah it is exciting, still can't believe I got on actually as I thought my second stage went really badly, so you can never really tell what's going to happen!

For the presentation - I made sure I had a little poster for them outlining the mail points and had a handout to give them at the end just to help them remember and look over. I made sure my eye contact and delivery was good as well as my time keeping (they had a little sand timer) as I think that's what they're looking for as opposed to what you say about the topic.

For the activity I made sure the kids had something they could handle and touch, read and speak about so it included different learning styles. Try and make sure you manage them well and try to remember all their names. I wrote them down and glanced at them every now and then until I knew them. Also again be conscious of your time keeping as she will tell you when the 10 mins is up and you can't time yourself on a mobile phone so maybe wear a watch and pratice beforehand so you have some idea about timescales

For the interview they ask you to reflect on your activity and ask you quite specific questions about teaching. Can't really help you much there as I was exhausted by that point and thought it went terribly! They did give me then opportunity to sell myself at the end though and I think that might have tipped it for me, but who knows!

When is your second stage?

6. giddyG2001

giddyG2001 New commenter

Hi Lisajane - that must be frustrating - have you just applied? I know places are very competitive. Did you get any feedback about it?

7. Hi, I have a 2nd Stage Interview in 2 weeks and wondered if either if you would be able to offer me any advice for this? Ie the presentation, teaching part and the actual interview? Maybe things they are looking for and questions they may ask. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

8. giddyG2001

giddyG2001 New commenter

Hi Alex,

I put some info about what I can remember a few posts back - I had mine back in March and put what I can remember. By the time I got to the interview I was exhausted so really don't remember that much.

For the presentation be aware of how you present, eye contact etc, and keep an eye on the time
    For the task, try to show you can manage the group well.

Good luck, let us know how you get on

9. cheers for that, hopefully will nail it! fingers crossed!

10. one last thing....what did you teach?

11. I have been accepted onto the course!
    Really looking forward to it and still pretty stunned to think this will all become a reality in a couple of months!