1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leicester SCITT

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by reflex001, Apr 11, 2007.

1. I have an 2nd stage interview coming up and I was just wondering if anyone else has had one. I'm struggling to think of a really good reading task to prepare (10 minutes with 4 year 2/3 children)... has anyone got any ideas or know of any really good books for this age? Also is the interview with the whole interview panel of 4-6 headteachers and course leaders? That seems excessive!

If anyone has any general insight/advice I'd be greatly appreciative! Thanks

2. I have an 2nd stage interview coming up and I was just wondering if anyone else has had one. I'm struggling to think of a really good reading task to prepare (10 minutes with 4 year 2/3 children)... has anyone got any ideas or know of any really good books for this age? Also is the interview with the whole interview panel of 4-6 headteachers and course leaders? That seems excessive!

If anyone has any general insight/advice I'd be greatly appreciative! Thanks

3. bedingfield

bedingfield New commenter

Hi Reflex,
    Congratulations on getting through to the 2nd stage. I went through this a couple of months ago and it is not as nerve wracking as it seems.
    With the reading based task, what they are looking for is how confident you are with the children. If you read the notes sent through to you, they are not wanting you to read a story to the group but to present it in a way that gets you involved with the children. Try to think of something that you can present in an imaginative way, eg. with puppets. Remember that 10 minutes is not that long.

As for the interview, the panel were split up when I was there and so there was only 2 actually interviewing you and these were the ones who observed the reading task.

I hope this helps, but feel free to ask me if you are unsure and I will try to help you

Good luck,
    Bedingfield

4. Thanks for the replies racingboots and bedingfield. I think I misread the letter at first because I was under the impression the whole panel were interviewing! Two people sounds a lot more comfortable.

Did you do the puppets thing then? How did it go? I'm doing my presentation on synthetic phonics so I think I might try and incorporate that into the reading somehow, if I can think of a way. Or if not perhaps read a little then get them to guess ahead. Or read then ask questions. Eek I'm just not sure!

5. bedingfield

Hi there,

No I didn't use the puppets myself but one of the other candidates I was with did and another used the concept of a game of Bingo. I took an idea from my daughter who is in Yr3 and got the group to read through and sort out a jumble of sentences which turned into a set of instructions when arranged in the right order.
    As I said before, keep it fairly simple, as the interviewers are looking for confidence from you when working with the children.

Hope this is of use to you.

6. Thanks bedingfield... the idea of re-arranging sentences sounds really good to me, I think I'll pinch your idea if you don't mind :)

7. bedingfield

Hi Reflex,
    By all means adapt the idea. Good luck to you. Let me know how you get on.

Bedingfield.

8. Good luck with the interview. I too went through it a couple of months ago.
    You will do the presentation in front of a panel of 4 and the other candidate (there were 3 others on my interview). Best thing here is to use you imagination as you've only got three minutes to express a lot of information and you only have flip chart to use.
    For my reading task, I read a really short passage to the children and then asked them to link adjectives based on what they had read. Did they fit the passage or not. Another of the candidate asked the kids to match the blurb on a book to its cover.
    The final interview is with just two of the panel. They ask questions based around education inclusion etc.
    The most daunting bit for me was waiting for the phone call. For my interview round they let us know on the day if we had been lucky. This meant a 3 hour wait just watching my mobile - willing for it to ring!
    Best of Luck!