1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Legalising and Notorising Documents with the FCO & Chinese Embassy for Chinese Work Permit

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Pasha, Jun 12, 2017.

  1. Pasha

    Pasha New commenter

    Dear Sir/Madam

    I have recently gained employment for a school in Shanghai China. They have requested I get my degree, QTS and criminal check notorised and apostilled. Could someone please advise or has had experience with this as it will save me time and money. I have emailed the Chinese Embassy in the UK but have had no reply from them. Plus, their website does not make this clear.

    1. Does the Chinese Embassy require I legalise my ORIGINAL documents or a PHOTOPCOPY of the originals at the Foreign Commonwealth Office (FCO) beforehand? (The normal procedure would be to get them notorised first from a UK solicitor and then send them to the FCO. After receiving them from the FCO I would then proceed to the UK Chinese Embassy.)

    2. The Chinese Embassy require the notory wrap these documents in a red ribbon as it will be more than 2 documents prooving they are authentic. Does the FCO do this, or must I return to the UK Solicitor to do this for me as they are the notory, after I have received my legalised documents back from the FCO before I finally go to the UK Chinese Embassy?

    Thank you kindly for your help.
  2. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    1. You need a solicitor or notary public to notarise the docs. The notarisation shows that you a real person (they check your ID). They bind in red ribbon.

    2. You then send them to the FCO for legalisation. The FCO checks the solicitor is real (from their signature), and the doc is real (signature).

    3. You then send them to the Chinese embassy for legalisation. They check the FCO signature is real.

    It must happen in the above order, otherwise what are the FCO legalising?

    The solicitor needs to see the original doc, but then notarises a photocopy.
    ChaiLattePlease likes this.
  3. Teacher1072

    Teacher1072 New commenter

    Bluskydreaming has explained it clearly - some notaries may offer to do all of the above for you.

    I completed this process last year and for an extra small fee the notary sent it all off for me, to the FCO and the Chinese embassy.
  4. Stillstayingjohnson

    Stillstayingjohnson Occasional commenter

    They'll use CDN or similar
  5. todd89

    todd89 New commenter

    According to the consulate website you have to send your passport and a photocopy if you are posting. I can't find the application form for the legalisation process. Anyone point me to it?
  6. todd89

    todd89 New commenter

    Apologies - there isn't a postal service for legalisation - only for the visa application...
  7. Smalowe

    Smalowe New commenter

    Hi all,

    Do I need to book an appointment with the embassy or can I just arrive with my documents, identification and application form?
  8. ChaiLattePlease

    ChaiLattePlease New commenter

    I’ve been getting myself in a right tizzy trying to get my head around this! Thanks so much for such a clear answer.

Share This Page