1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Legal terminology regarding death

Discussion in 'Personal' started by May2, Jul 20, 2015.

1. May2

May2 Established commenter

Sorry I am probably a bit dim here but if it says someone died and there were no suspicious circumstances can that still mean it may have been suicide but just not someone else involved. There will be a coroners report.

2. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Yes, "no suspicious circumstances" may mean suicide. It is a phrase that simply means there is no need for a full coroner's inquest into the death, the post-mortem report will be sufficient.

3. May2

May2 Established commenter

Oh dear very sad, I was hoping you weren't going to say that as speculation is suggesting suicide.

4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

It may mean suicide, but it could also be of natural causes. Also, it could be accidential as well, e.g. an unintentional overdose. My partner (some twenty years ago) died suddenly of a blood clot, which had to be investigated, so nobody else was involved but it was completely natural causes, but there were a few comments about suicide until all the facts were known - sadly, people speculate and gossip.

sorry for your loss...big hugs

5. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Sorry you have suffered a loss May2, I thought that an unexpected death where the deceased had not seen a dr for an illness shortly before death would trigger an inquest, so I googled and found this...

www.gov.uk/.../when-a-death-is-reported-to-a-coroner

Hope it gives you some peace in the interim.