1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

legal requirement for shower in school nursery???

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by brov, May 16, 2011.

1. Hi all - I have in the back of my mind from other authorities I have worked for that to have a shower in a school nursery is a legal requirement...indeed in other authorities I have had toilets knocked out to accomodate this, ensuring of course that we still had the 1:10 ratio for toilet usage. In my new school in a different authority we have been qupted @ thousand pounds to put in a shower in school nursery building... we do have shower in main school...does this count if a legal requirement / I am also aware of the emotional needs and safeguarding if we dont build it and a child requires a shower from nursery - it is a 2 min walk to the shower in main building.if a legal requirement in main building obviously we will do this. ps the plan within 2 yrs is to bring n into main school building. thanks

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

No there is no legal requirement to have a shower facility in schools
    There should be at least one toilet and one hand basin for every ten children over the age of two.

3. thanks.. just didnt want to confuse reuirements of 4 LAs with legal!! there is space to put in without compromising the 1:10 as we also have large urinal. THe shower in main school building is used intermittently and is obviously clean and private.. thanks brov

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The LA actually removed ours to put in a second disabled toilet

5. Hmm 1:10 for toilets eh??? How can my reception unit get by with 3 toilets for potentially 40 children then????

6. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

We have 2 toilets for 60 children when they are all in! But then we do have access to the KS1 toilets too ... We used to have a shower which was built at the same time as our toilet block, but because it never got used it got really pongy. Gone now. Need storage!

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Poor Msz, you should have had our wonderful brand new hip bath/shower. I can hardly wait until someone needs to use it. No joking - it really is lovely. Sod's law dictates that, since it was installed, we've had nothing worse than wee-wee accidents.
    Even with State-of-the-Art showers etc, you still have the question of clean towels, which, unless properly washed, are themselves a health hazard.

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

Though, of course, they all have their own towels and we'd have to have an agreement that only home towels were used....