1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

legal footing for private tutors

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by asgilroy, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Hi, I am setting up my own sole trader private tutor business in the UK. I am doing my legal homework currently to start the business on a sound legal footing. The CRB people state that a recent clean enhanced CRB disclosure (which I have) and specific insurance is all I need to start up. I have tried verifying this on those free online law Q+A sites (and direct.gov) with no luck. Has anyone out there done private tutoring and/or do you know a credible, respectable education/employment legal bod who knows?

Perhaps I could answer a query of yours in return?
    Many thanks
    Cheers

2. Hi, I am setting up my own sole trader private tutor business in the UK. I am doing my legal homework currently to start the business on a sound legal footing. The CRB people state that a recent clean enhanced CRB disclosure (which I have) and specific insurance is all I need to start up. I have tried verifying this on those free online law Q+A sites (and direct.gov) with no luck. Has anyone out there done private tutoring and/or do you know a credible, respectable education/employment legal bod who knows?

Perhaps I could answer a query of yours in return?
    Many thanks
    Cheers

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

You don't even need that.
    Insurance - if you work in someone's home is advisable.
    That's it.
    Declare you are self employed to HMRC
    Job done.

4. No real legal requirements - I have been tutoring for 8 years and have a network of others working with me. CRB checks are a good start - and references from a school or college staff. Follow your gut - if you feel uneasy in any tutoring situation, eg. being left with a child alone in their own home, don't put yourself in that situation again. Always err on the side of caution, particulary if you are male. I advise my tutors to meet the child and parent for a consultation before any teaching commences, so that expectations and details are clarified.
    Keep a record of earnings for tax, and yes register as self employed as soon as you start.
    Never had a problem - I tutor from home and from students' homes, just be open, honest and do your preparation. Enjoy!

5. Many thanks Robyn147 and Scarlet65!

6. Although I have a CRB I've never been asked to produce one, this may be because the parents are always at home when I tutor.
    You need to register as self-employed within 6 months of starting, or there abouts. You can claim back mileage, for tax purposes, but keep records of all journeys incase they want evidence. You should have a local business centre near you where they offer free advice, they go under several different names but they are all free. I found my business advisor very helpful.