1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Legal break entitlements

Discussion in 'Primary' started by i hate mondays, Jan 21, 2011.

1. What are teachers entitled to in terms of breaks? What are primary aged pupils entitled to? Thanks

2. What are teachers entitled to in terms of breaks? What are primary aged pupils entitled to? Thanks

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

I don't understand.

4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

essentially very little
    teachers went on strike when i was still at school, to get the right to a lunch break. They won. Recently more and more schools, especially secondary have reduced the breaks to 2 twenty or so minute breaks, mainly because they cannot control the pupils during a longer break. Lunchtime assistants are often ignored by pupils or can cause more problems than they solve, simply because they try and uphold the stated rules and get little support from SMT (no change there!)
    As a result, as at my last school, you can find yourself assigned duties in either break, as neither are designatesd the official lunch break.
    personally i wish the unions would look at things like this instead of some of the things they waste energy discussing at conference!

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

So - you've got a secondary school with 1200 pupils, say and there's only the LAs and a small team of senior teachers to try and control the lot of them. The rest of the teaching staff are taking their hard-won (and I know, I was NUT rep during the action in the 80s, leading my members out of school each luncthime to make the point) break.
    How easy is that to do, do you think? Controlling 1200 kids with only (say) 6 teachers and LAs who many of the kids are not afraid of, no matter how hard the teaching staff have tried to tell the kids they have to do what the LAs tell them at luncthime?
    Rather than make your snide 'no change there!' comments, walk a mile in the shoes of the head, deputy, assistant head or AST who's out every lunchtime trying to patrol the entire school, with its multi-acre site, why don't you?

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

STPCD
    Daily break
    63.3 A teacher who is required to be available for work for more than one
    school session on any school day must be allowed one break of
    reasonable length either between school sessions or between the hours
    of 12 noon and 2.00pm
    . Deputy Head Teachers, Assistant Head
    Teachers, Advanced Skills Teachers and Excellent Teachers are entitled
    to a break of reasonable length as near to the middle of each school day
    as is reasonably practicable.
    63.2 No teacher may be required under their contract of employment as a
    teacher to undertake midday supervision.

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

A stereotypical comment from someone who has never actually taken on the responsibilities of a member of the SMT. In my experience such people would prefer to remain as classroom teachers and whinge rather than take on such responsibilities because of their immaturity, incompetence or lack of ambition.
    The same sort of people who sit in the staff room at lunchtime spouting these sort of comments while being oblivious of the fact that the HT is spending his lunchtime managing behaviour in the canteen or outside, and then criticise the HT for snatching ten minutes to eat a quick lunch during period 4 with comments along the lines of "extended lunchtime for some..."
    Provided you are not assigned duties during both breaks, then your school is following the rules and allowing you a break of reasonable length.
    For your information, there is no 'official lunch break' for staff. only a break of reasonable length, as per the STPCD.
    Then I suggest you take a more active part in your union's activities, perhaps by taking an office, attend conference and make sure it happens. Or is it that old immaturity, incompetence or lack of ambition which prevents you from doing so?

8. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

That would involve getting of your **** rather than whinging about how awful it all is.
    £50 says it ain't going to happen.