1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leg swelling

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by zafira1, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Hi. I woke up on thursday am with what I thought was a bruise on my leg just below my kneecap. By Friday evening it was obviously an infection and my whole lower leg was bright red and swollen. Went to the walk in centre on Sat morn who gave me antibiotics- my leg was 3cm fatter than my other one.
    Its now Monday evening- my leg is bright red and you can follow the infection? from the back of my knee cap to my ankle which is now swollen but not red. My leg is now 6cm bigger and flaming hot.
    How long do antibiotics take to work?
    Do I visit doc in morning or A and E this evening?
    Any suggestions gratefully received. x

2. Maybe give NHS direct a call? I wouldn't expect to see much improvement in two days but if it's getting worse I would want to get it checked out sooner rather than later.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Do you think this is a bite? I ask because I was laid low a few weeks ago with similar symptoms. In my case I was given antibiotics, antihistamine and steroids but there was no noticeable improvement for 2-3 days and the leg is still swollen though no longer hot and infected. If you don't see any improvement by tomorrow morning I'd go again to your GP. But if you are worrying a lot then go to A&E tonight. Or go back to your walk in centre where you unlikely to wait as long as you would in A&E. Hope it starts getting better soon. Keep it elevated and stick a pack of frozen peas on it.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Ha ha! I phoned them on Friday and was told the waiting time to be called back with advice was 5 hours in all but the most urgent cases. It's a waste of time and effort.

5. I suffer terribly from reactions to bites. When I start my antibiotics I always draw a line around my bite/infection area. That way I can see in a day or two if it is reducing or increasing (as it did once!).
    The effects of the antibiotics normally take a few days to really kick in.

6. I would go to A & E. Don't want to scare you but have they checked you for DVT? That can cause swelling and redness in the leg. Am sure it is just an infection but just to be on the safe side go and get it checked at the hospital.

7. I'm with Greenteaaddict. I know the prospect of sitting in a waiting room is not appealing but it'll give you piece of mind to know what it is, there's obviously something a little nasty going on, be it a bite or otherwise. Besides, it must be getting a little painful by now!

8. I also recommend popping down to A&E. I dont want to worry you but my hubby developed something similar in his arm - his doctor sent him straight to A&E and he was put on IV antibiotics for a week. He had cellulitis. He was discharged with a couple of weeks worth of antibiotic tablets. Dont take any chances.

9. Hi all.
    Phoned NHS direct- 1-4 hour call back time they said. Anyway they called back after 15 mins! Recommended I go to the walk in at the local hospital which I duly did. They decided it was infection but wanted me to be checked for a blood clot. Had blood test- waited 2 hours for the result- apparently there were markers for a blood clot but finally decided it was infection gone mad! Given different antibotics- shoud be kicking in by Wed if no better by Friday got to go back to hospital for IV antibiotics.
    sure its not a bit as I do react badly to bites but this was very different.
    Thanks to all- feel bit easier now although still very sore and swollen. x

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Glad you got it seen and hope the new meds will soon start kicking in.

11. So pleased that you got checked out. Let's hope the antibiotics kick in soon

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

I didn't respond earlier as I didn't want to muddy the waters before you got treatment, but bites are funny. I react terribly to mosquito bites but nothing prepared me for the ant bite I got on a walking holiday on the Welsh borders. Within ten minutes, my lleg [genuine typo but I'll leave it because of the geographical context!] was like a tree trunk and I was unable to walk for four days.
    Glad you're on the mend.