1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

leg of venison

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by cosmos, Jan 25, 2011.

1. I have just been given a leg of venison and am debating the best way to cook it. In the past I haven't been overly keen on venison as I dislike its rather close texture; so would I be better roasting it or braising it?
    I plan to marinade it either way.

2. I have just been given a leg of venison and am debating the best way to cook it. In the past I haven't been overly keen on venison as I dislike its rather close texture; so would I be better roasting it or braising it?
    I plan to marinade it either way.

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Hmmm. Braising venison has its advantages as it can keep the moisture in what can be a dry meat if you're not careful...although braising it can easily dry it out if you cook it too quickly or for too long (that sounds confusing actually, I by 'quickly' I mean on too high a heat).
    As venison is so lean, the fat content that keeps other meats juicy is extremely low, so great care is needed. It's a meat that suits either being served rare, or braised carefully with lubricants, such as fatty bacon.
    A fast, hot roast is how I'd tend to cook it, 15 minutes pound in a hot oven, to keep it rare. I like rare meat, though, I'd add. You could try barding it, either on top or threaded through the meat, to keep it succulent, if you want to cook it any longer. If you want your meat well done, venison probably isn't the meat for you.
    You could also remove it from the bone and cut into chunks and use to make a stew or pie, with chunks of bacon to keep it all juicy.
    Although, given your thread on losing weight, you might not necessarily want to add any fat! In which case, dried fruits such as prunes are great for adding succulence to braises with meats prone to dryness. In any case, what's more important is to braise on a slow 'blip', not a fierce boil.

4. I am inclined to agree with you nick that roasting would be better. we all love our meat rare and I think that would make it less dry. Would you believe I actually have a barding needle amongst my kitchen paraphanalia!
    Leftovers coud be turned into venison stroganoff using the rare bits - half fat creme fraiche!!!

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

Roast every time for me!
    I would put a thin layer of fat (probably goose/duck as I always have them around) over the joint if it was totally lean and then roast it hot and fast before letting it rest for a good time to relax (while you finish the roast pots in your super-hot oven?)
    I love Venison: my local supplier just packed up so I have 2 options: supermarket (best avoided imho) or super-expensive from the "show farm" at the local Estate. Result: no venison for us recently!

6. excellent advice.
    i would add that you probably also want to let it rest for a lot longer than you would normally.
    i really like it with some crushed juniper berries to marinade, and then deglaze my roasting tin with a little gin. i've always used olives with game before and only recently tried prunes, and i think its a really good suggestion of Nick's.

7. deglaze my roasting tin with a little gin
    Yum! I have damson gin on the go - that would be good.
    As I said before, venison is not my favourite meat but will give it another chance. Thank you all for your suggestions.

8. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

The BBC good food website has a recipe called ' Succulent braised venison ' which I made for New Year. It was delicious ! Very easy and really did the meat justice. Ours was some leg, shoulder and other bits ( from a deer a colleague of OH ran over on way to work !)
    I used Corbières and served it with pommes noisettes.