1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leg Ache what is it

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by mfl-hopeful, Apr 25, 2011.

1. I don't need to go to doctor's or a doctor's opinion just yet.
    I have a dull leg ache, other day just in one leg and today in both legs. The only way I can describe it is growing pains. Sadly, that won't be what it is cause I'm far past that stage in life.
    Anyone else experienced this? Does it have a name?

2. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Do you run/do any high impact cardio or aerobic exercise?

3. Sorry should have been more specific.
    I don't do running/gym/etc.

4. I had dreadful aching legs last week (even kept me awake until I took painkillers). I finally put it down to wearing different shoes all day as I wasn't wearing work shoes. The shoes in question are very flat and I think they made me use leg muscles I dont usually use when wearing work shoes! Have you changed footwear? I am back to wearing chunkier shoes (trainers) and leg pain has gone.

5. It could be so many things, from the inanely trivial (most usual) to the relatively serious. My aching legs were variously sciatica, varicose veins and random menopause aches and pains.

6. Do you have any (lower) back pain? If so it could be that inflamation is trapping, or causing problems with, the sciatic nerves in your legs. Try to work out where the pain is, if its sciatica it will spread down your leg(s) in the same way each time.
    Sometimes when I get it, it only makes my hip or thigh ache, other times it aches all the way down to my foot. I only get it on my right side, due to the specific back problem I have but I've known others suffer in both legs. It can be a sort of achey pain, which makes you want to stretch your legs out and mine gets a kind of 'restless' feeling as well.
    As the above poster mentions, shoes can affect it, I found that going from teaching KS1 and sitting a lot more to KS2 and standing caused it to flare up and I could no longer wear very low or high heels.
    If it is sciatica you can get prescription painkillers that work very well from your doctor, or lower doses from chemists (eg voltarol).
    Hope you find out what it is anyway x

7. Thanks for all the replies. Did write a reply but said it didn't post. Don't wear heels, only flats or trainers. Not changed footwear recently. Fortunately I don't think it is anything serious. I think LOFT is right that sometimes it's something trivial and I think it is this time but not can't pinpoint to avoid whatever it is.

8. It's mostly behind the back of the knees.

9. Have you had a look? Any blue bobbly veins? Otherwise behind your knees sounds like a muscley-type thing.

10. Yes I have checked for varicose veins because 2 of my immediate family members have had ops for them. I am on ok that front. For now I will just see how it goes since it's not here.