1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leftovers

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by henriette, Dec 27, 2011.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

so, I guess we all have a fridge full of bits and pieces that we aren't quite sure what to do with, but know are still perefctly good to eat.
    Here's mine:
    I have just taken 4 jars of goose fat off the bowl I poured it into on Sunday: what is the bext way to put the jellied juices to good use?
    I'm inclined to freeze it in an ice cube tray and add one to every bird dish I make to enrich them, but I'm sure one of you will have a better idea?
    Suggestions and ideas, please?

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

here's another:
    egg yolks (6, free range but small)
    I thought of making an egg custard for my father (he loves them and possibly hasn't had a home-made one since my mother died 15 years ago) - all my recipes call for whole eggs: can I substitute just the yolks?
    or... if I make crème brûlée with just yolks and milk instead of cream woudl that work?

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I always make creme brulee with yolks and cream, not milk!

4. BelleDuJour

Or make lemon, lime or orange curd with the yolks.

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

brilliant! I picked up a net of lemons for 10p at Aldi this morning, so that will take of those!

6. I was thinking/dreaming of jellied juices on a thick piece of hot toast........

7. BelleDuJour

With a sprinkling of fresh ground white pepper!

8. I hadn't thought of that, lapin. I may do that tomorrow!

9. BelleDuJour

I've made yummy soup. I bunged the entire turkey carcass, and the onion and sage leaves I stuffed up it's bottom, in a pot, covered with water and left in the Aga for 24 hours.
    Strained stock and removed meat. Gave half to dog and kept best bits for soup.
    Then sauteed another onion, some leek, celery, swede, potato and carrot in a little butter. When soft added stock and a few mixed herbs and let simmer for 15 minutes. Whizzed to a pulp with a stick blender then added more chopped veggies (same as before) and simmered until tender. I then added the reserved turkey meat, a tin of borlotti beans and chopped fresh parsley.
    Truly delish! Food of the Gods.

10. That is a brilliant idea lapin thank you! Will do that next time. Ice cream is sitting in freezer and it is delicious. I did the Nigella vanilla ice cream.
    Now for creme fraiche. Has anyone any ideas for that? Use by tomorrow. Does it freeze well?

11. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Freeze as it is, never tried, may separate but try it, or make sauce, soup, make into a cake filling and freeze.

The leftover dinner last night was gorgeous, gonna try this tonight.
    Chop some turkey, think I'll use the thigh, make a sauce from stock, thickened with ground almonds, season and add chopped apricots, chopped parsley, almonds, add chopped turkey and heat, and pour over cous-cous or moughrabia.

12. henriette

henriette New commenter

Crème fraîche freezes well, but you need to stir it before using after thawing.
    What shall I do with stuffing balls? Breadcrumb and herb not sausagemeat.

13. BelleDuJour

Freeze cooked stuffing ballas then re-heat when you next do roast chicken or pork.