1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Left UK after PGCE to teach ESL for 3 years now want to return

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by dbrady8105, Feb 8, 2019.

1. MeddlingWizard

MeddlingWizard New commenter

I have a History degree and did my PGCE in 2016. I then moved to Spain in the September of that year and did a CELTA in Madrid. I've been teaching ESL in Spain ever since and this is my third year teaching here.

Now I want to go back to teaching history and hopefuly get a job in an international school. I don't care where and understand that the school that may hire me wouldn't necessarily be considered 'good'. But the problem is I don't know how attractive I'll be to international schools since my PGCE is now three years old. On the other hand maybe the three years doing ESL will have some value to them? Or will the strength of the PGCE alone be enough to at least get a job in less than 'good' schools? I'm not picky (but would have a preference for Europe).

I'm also debating whether to go back to the UK and endure a living hell to get my NQT year and then applying to international schools after that. Thanks.

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I would just send out your cv and find a few employment agents to sign up with, some schools will take staff who barely have a pulse.

Look for hardship countries where it is difficult to attract teachers, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar and China.

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  3. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

I agree with @february31st that an area considered more "hardship" and less popular with applicants will be easier for you. As you have a preference for Europe, look east and if possible, outside the EU. Russia seems to be sprouting schools like mushrooms at the moment.

Your EFL experience will be useful so play that up in your application.

Can you do more than history? Many schools (especially smaller ones) will just have a humanities teacher.

Good luck!

4. le2012

le2012 New commenter

With a good school NQT year doesn't have to be a living hell. In my school, we protect the NQTs, you get lots of training opportunities and paperwork is limited to a minimum. With the mass exodus of new teachers, the schools are trying to keep NQTs happy. It's tougher when you are on the main scale and don't get protected hours. Don't get me wrong I am leaving the UK because of the paperwork and tick box exercise madness of state education but in my experience of running NQT programmes, you are relatively protected from that.

5. MeddlingWizard

Thanks. Do you have any agencies you could name drop?

6. MeddlingWizard

By this do you mean do I have experience and teaching qualifications in another subject? I have no experience in another subject, just the history I did during the PGCE, however I have A Level Geography and I would be perfectly happy and willing to teach other humanities subjects.

Is this what they mean when they ask this in interviews i.e. 'Can you offer any other subject'. Do they mean willingness to teach other subjects or actual experience and qualifications?

Thanks.

7. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

Anything would help: it would widen your net and broaden your appeal to schools.

8. Madamemorgan

Madamemorgan New commenter

I've started a conversation with you

9. charlottedayus13

charlottedayus13 New commenter

I've found that there's a LOT of schools around Europe that need new staff every year as the turnover is usually quite high due to people traveling etc. So actually just being a qualified teacher and native English speaker already puts you high on the list since lots of these schools are independent and can employ unqualified teachers if they want to.
    I would just warn that you may not get what you bargained for if you aren't looking for a particularly "good" school - I've experienced and heard from colleagues about a few places that are a living hell.

10. iskamdazamina

iskamdazamina New commenter

Why not consider finding a registered British School Overseas (BSO) which considers hiring NQTs in your subject area?
    E.g. https://www.tes.com/jobs/vacancy/teacher-of-history-dubai-uae-1142084

11. MeddlingWizard

Thanks for the link. The reason why I haven't considered doing this is because they seem to be few and far between and considering that I'm a history teacher which is incredibly competitive and my PGCE is three years old, I just don't believe I can compete.

Maybe I'm just being modest/lacking confidence about it. I just know how compeitive history (apparently) is.

12. february31st

february31st Established commenter

dbrady, sent you a conversation