1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Left hand day

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Aug 13, 2019.

?

Are you a lefty?

1. Yes, aren't we amazing

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No, I'm not lucky enough

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Should we remain proud that we refer to this condition as left-handedness when the rest of the world is more likely to call it southpaw thanks to Yankeeland, baseball and Coca Cola?

2. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

I’m glad I’m not the only one that finds some left-handed scissors useless.
    I used to teach textiles and although we had a few left handed scissors, the kids often complained that they couldnt use the scissors. I just suggested they get over it/ used to it. Like we have to.
    Things that are irritating but somehow you don’t realise why as you just get on with it: cameras are right handed. You can get them left but very expensive they are. Applies to my mobile as well unless I want the photo upside down. Corkscrews, all wrong. Using a tape measure or ruler upside down. At least now the flex comes out the back of an iron as I use to end up dragging the flex over the ironing.
    As for driving, I think being left-handed makes it easier learning to change gear.
    I just find it scary trying to drive a left hand drive abroad as I cannot change gear with my right hand. I keep trying to change the door handle instead.

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!

primarycat likes this.
  4. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

I’ve always wondered why right-handed guitarists choose to do the undemanding strumming with their ‘stronger’ hand while carrying out the far more complex string manoeuvres with their allegedly weaker left hand.
    And vice versa.

5. Duke of York

Venison farmers have to be bambidextrous.

6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Hmmm. Ah aha aha. Asked me rh boy who is 36. No 37 He said depends on ping. If is work, he may need to transfer so able to type rh. Anyone else - meh.
    Hmm. I'm therefore second ping. We might need to talk.

7. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Nopes. Right or nothing here. Cannot ltel you long it takes to correct here.

8. Duke of York

It's all very well being ambidexrous, but aren't ambidextrous people likely to become paranoid neurotics with their left hand worrying about what the right hand is up to? Matthew 6:3