1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Left hand day

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Aug 13, 2019.

?

Are you a lefty?

1. Yes, aren't we amazing

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No, I'm not lucky enough

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I'm naturally left-handed and left-footed but I write with my right hand. I think this is another factor in my inability to work with other people. Office spaces are a nightmare because I operate on the basis that everything comes from the left and proceeds towards the right.

Around other people I have problems with window catches, doors, opening and drawing curtains, digging, weeding, scissors, chopping vegetables, cutting bread, cutting card and paper, tying things, taping up parcels, etc.

In everything I always work from the left. I paint with my left hand but I can also paint as well with my right hand. When I wash the pots I go from left to right and drain the pots on the right. I get on fine alone but if I need to be near other people it's an nightmare. Where you put your drink and your ashtray, storing things, setting out rooms, pouring drinks, making drinks, etc.

I have left-handed guitars. I tried to learn violin but it was impossible but I'm really fast at changing gear in a car.

I can use a knife and fork 'properly' and I was forced to write with my right hand but always pick up a paintbrush or chopping knife, screwdriver, spanner, etc with my left hand.

When I was fiddling around with women I would have to move position. Some thought this was quaint or even funny. Others left.

2. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

My sister and I are both left-handed. When we were growing up, our parents (both right-handed) insisted that we use our knife-and-fork the usual way (fork in the left, knife in the right). We both found cutting actions with the knife in our right hand very hard to coordinate, and ended up with a technique where the knife was used simply to hold food down while we tore away at it with the fork. Parents were not impressed and always telling us to use the cutlery properly. They never understood the problem, and refused point blank to listen to our explanations!

I can just about use a knife in my right hand at the table now, but if I'm cutting bread or chopping vegetables I use my left hand. I'm left-hand dominant for everything except using a computer mouse, which came about because most computers I used at university didn't have mouse leads long enough to be able to shift them across to the other side of the keyboard!

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I started using my mouse (and now trackball) with my left hand because I was getting shoulder problems in my right. It didn't take long to adjust and now I can use either equally well. Is handedness possibly one of those things which is on s sliding scale? I can train myself fairly easily to do things with my left hand but others seem to really struggle if they have to use the 'wrong' hand.

What is being 'right eared'? Both my ears work.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So many questions...

5. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I was boggling a bit too.

6. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I think so. My mother in law is left handed but very dextrous with her right hand. PCjr is also left handed and can use her right hand better than I can. I am strongly left handed.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Mind boggling... finger boggling... Jude boggling...

primarycat likes this.
  8. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

Me , I'm a leftie !

lanokia likes this.
  9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

There is a dominant ear, as well as a dominant hand. The way we used to check was to give a student a watch and ask them to see if it was ticking. The ear you automatically put it to, is the dominant one.

My right ear is dominant, but I’m left handed. It doesn’t mean to hear better with one than the other necessarily though.

Having a dominant hand and ear on opposite sides is being cross lateral.

10. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

If you're right-handed , you'd automatically raise it to your right ear, wouldn't you? Would be awkward to pass it across your face.

Doitforfree likes this.
  11. MissyWilliams

MissyWilliams New commenter

Try www.anythinglefthanded.co.uk

All my scissors come from them

12. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Exactly.

My hearing's pretty good. I'd probably have heard it well before it was anywhere near my ear.:D

13. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Despite being right handed I have set my android phone to left handed operation.
    I think it is because in the olden days it was standard to hold the receiver in the left hand.

lanokia and Aquamarina1234 like this.
  14. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Thanks. I'll have a look. I think I was just expecting to walk into Staples or ELC and find a pair!

15. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

I'm sure I've got them from ELC before, but it was a while ago. Does it still exist?

(Just checked Amazon ... lots on there!)

16. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

No, because if I wanted to pick up a watch to see if it was ticking, I would hold it in my right hand and hold it to my right ear. You wouldn’t be passing it across your face.

I hold the phone to my right ear and use my right hand and I’ve seen lots of people hold the phone to the right ear, whilst holding it in the left, therefore crossing across the face. Perhaps they do that so they can write something with the dominant ant hand. Or perhaps they just prefer to cross over.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Appropriator! ;)

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Looking at the poll I don't think those afflicted with rightism are really getting into the spirit of the thing.

19. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

No. As I said earlier, I always hold my phone to my left ear - using my left hand. I’m right handed. I don’t have any better hearing in my left ear. It’s just what I do automatically.

20. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Definitely. I’m cross dominant, so my dominant handedness depends on the task, and there’s a fair bit of ambidexterity thrown in too. I habitually write with my left hand but I can do a competent job with my right and it doesn’t feel completely unnatural, just slower due to lack of practice. Scissors I’ve always instinctively used with my right but I can’t do with my left at all though. Stuff like sports I find I’m equally good/bad with both hands. I pick stuff up with whatever hand is closest, and when cooking I tend to switch hands halfway through to make the job easier, eg chopping onions, i’ll start with the knife in one hand till I’m nearly all the way across, then switch hands and go back towards the middle for the last bit. Ditto sewing and stuff like that, I just switch hands depending on what bit I’m doing.
    I’ve always put it down to learning the piano from an early age (4) because the easy pieces you learn first tend to involve more right hand dexterity than left, so maybe it trains some of the dominance out of a natural leftie like me.

I’ve asked before I think, but do any other lefties find that things like writing backwards, or upside down, are quite easy? I do, and have always theorised it’s because my brain is used to having to flip things set up for righthanders to the mirror image to do them with my left.