1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Left hand day

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Aug 13, 2019.

?

Are you a lefty?

1. Yes, aren't we amazing

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No, I'm not lucky enough

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

I do that too and I’m right handed. It just seems the natural thing to do. I think doing it the other way would be more awkward. I wonder what other right handers do?

Oh, yes. The frustration when I’ve tried to cut a half-broken fingernail on the right hand.

freckle06 and cissy3 like this.
  2. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Mr PC does the opposite. He's right handed but left footed.

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

I am finding this thread very sinister!

4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

My younger granddaughter is a lefty and has been right [sic] from babyhood. As soon as she was old enough to hold a spoon, I'd hand it to her right hand to feed herself and she'dt take it and transfer it to her left.
    Shes 3 now. Can I find a pair of child left hand scissors? No. She is finding writing difficult. Her nane begins with L, and she tries to copy what I have written but does it backwards. Guts me because her righty sister got a round of applause for forming a letter correctly i.e. every time, whereas she gets Good try! Shall we try it this way this time?

5. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I'm a lefty and have never had any problems with writing. I hold a spoon in my left hand, but have always held a knife and fork in a right-hand way. I've never had too much of a problem with scissors (you will find child left hand scissors in educational catalogues). I first encountered left-hand scissors when we got them at school about 10 years ago - I can't use them and haven't found any lefty kids that can either!

6. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

I always had a left handed fountain pen which had a nib that was bent.

My family are cruel to me, as a minority, with barbed comments about being cack handed and sinister. I just think they're jealous!:rolleyes:

7. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

We didn't have left handed scissors when I was a child, so I tend to use my (otherwise useless) right hand. It's the children I teach who insist that they must have left handed scissors. I always think as a leftie that we're more adaptable (case of having to be).

My mum can't abide to watch me use a kitchen knife. My nemesis is cutting a loaf of bread if anyone else has already had a go!

sunshineneeded likes this.
  8. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

I’ve never really paid attention but from memory I think my family are all probably like your husband.
    Is that unusual? I’m sure I’m right footed but I think I must be left eared - without thinking about it that’s the one I always hold my phone to.

9. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

:p:pBoooooo!

10. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have that problem and I am right-handed. I used to find playing Twister very stressful. No way could I tell which foot was which once I had twisted around a bit.

cissy3 and primarycat like this.
  11. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I push the lever down and pull it up again. It's an agonostic corkscrew.

12. primarycat

He thinks so. He knows because he plays football and he thinks many more are right footed and a very few are genuinely able to use both feet equally, rather than being coached to do so.

anotherauntsally likes this.
  13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I think our dog must be left handed, because he always chooses to walk on the side of me that gets me tripping over the lead.

14. Aquamarina1234

L tries to use scissors "normally" but gives up and uses them two-handed as shears, which requires a second party to hold the thing to be cut.

15. primarycat

Try anything left handed (Google it - they do loads of left handed equipment. I'm fairly sure they'd do children's scissors.

16. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Left handed scissors are an abomination. They just don’t work.

In the days when there were bank tellers and you needed to sign something, it was frustrating that the pens were angled for right handlers and also attached to the counter, so you struggled to get the right angle for signing as a left handed. It’s not much different now when you have to sign for something on one of those electronic pads delivery drivers have.

I knit right handed, iron right handed and am cross lateral. Left handed and right eared. I guess you just get used to things being a bit awkward as a leftie.

freckle06 and sunshineneeded like this.
  17. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

You'll have an exciting new training session on this in a few weeks, led by a well-paid consultant-and be told to differentiate on your plans...

18. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Aren't you expected to offer left-handed scissors in your classes? We always have to (my best friend at school was a lefty but was not offered them then-some teachers even tried to stop her being 'sinister'!

19. primarycat

I wish this was funny rather than true.

20. primarycat

I am and do. Just as blunt and useless as the right handed ones available. It was Aquamarina who said she'd struggled to find them for her granddaughter, so I gave a suggestion of where to buy them.

21. Aquamarina1234

I can see her natural inclination is to write right to left. I am fortunate in having a neigbour whose cultural language moves the same way and who sympathises with her!

primarycat likes this.