1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Left hand day

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Aug 13, 2019.

?

Are you a lefty?

1. Yes, aren't we amazing

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No, I'm not lucky enough

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Maybe you just couldn't knit! You do one thing with one hand and one with the other. It doesn't matter whether you're left or right handed.

2. Doitforfree

But both are doing something. Why would it be any harder for a right or left handed person? And when you knit your two hands do different things, not the same. I can see that some things are really hard if you're left handed, but not things that require both hands to do something.

When we had swingball I taught myself to play with either hand which meant I could beat anyone because I was equally good in each direction, and they weren't.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm naturally left handed - but I write with my right hand.

My reception teacher converted me from my left handedness

Bearing in mind I'm also dyslexic you can guess what my handwriting is like.

4. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Oh yes, hated those. And fountain pens and tin openers. Also gravy boats, pans etc. that have a pouring lip on one side only - it's always the wrong side.

I do hope that in all my years of teaching I've actually managed to educate some right-handed teachers about left handedness and that I've given a bit of encouragement to lots of leftie pupils!

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

When I drove in France I found it mentally a lot more taxing... I could do everything... and maybe it was just because I wasn't use to it all... probably a factor... but I still found it more taxing than I expected to.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I still have issues telling left from right though - there are times when I genuinely cannot remember.

bombaysapphire, smoothnewt and cissy3 like this.
  7. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

It's also about which hand leads and which hand follows. I use 2 hands to cut a loaf of bread but would always turn it so I hold the knife in my left hand and bread in my right. I unscrew bottles by holding the bottle in my right hand and unscrew with my left.

cissy3 likes this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Despite the fact that I am left handed - I would do the complete opposite.

9. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Me too. I’m left handed. I write left handed but do things like knitting right handed. Yes, it does make a difference which hand is holding the wool and winding around the other needle. Perhaps my mum couldn’t work out how to reverse everything for me.

I still have a left handed cheque book so the stub is on the correct side for me. It’s odd to open it that way. We older left handed teachers will remember the difficulties of writing with chalk on a blackboard without smudging it. Mind you, marker pens could be as bad.

freckle06, ROSIEGIRL and primarycat like this.
  10. Doitforfree

I think that's just because nothing is where you expect it to be. And the French drivers don't help...

11. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

lanokia likes this.
  12. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I'm not left-handed, but there are odd occasions when I'm more like a left-hander.

And I find both left hand and right hand drive cars as easy as each other (but perhaps that's through practice)

I sympathise with left-handers. Any right-handers who've tried to use scissors with their left hand will know how difficult it is.

And try knitting with hands 'reversed'! I'd find it very difficult.

13. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

My elder daughter and my sister in law are both left-handed yet somehow they both have very neat and attractive handwriting.

14. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I’ve never been asked whether I’m right or left handed when applying for car insurance. I hope they don’t start asking if that statistic is correct.

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So how would you account for the noticeable difference?

16. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Me, too. It does not come naturally. (And I have to think about east and west, too.)

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

There is that statistical thing where lefties are more prone to mental illness and more likely to be geniuses [well 20% of MENSA members, so self-selecting]

Does make me wonder... does the pressure of operating in a right handed culture, trying to adapt, or being pressured to adapt [left hand tied behind back, that sort of thing] would result in greater level of stress and anxiety which would cause mental health issues...

And that the pressure to conform in a rightie society results in their brains making extra links and connections between the hemispheres ... maybe improving intellectual ability?

Just speculating... what do people think?

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I just remember which leg I broke.

primarycat likes this.
  19. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

How do you get on with corkscrews? Are you one of those people who can only do it by keeping the corkscrew stationary while you turn the bottle?

20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I just break the bottle - so much easier.