1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Left hand day

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Aug 13, 2019.

?

Are you a lefty?

1. Yes, aren't we amazing

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No, I'm not lucky enough

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Today is left hand day!

Wooo finally a day I can take part in... erm... what am I supposed to do?

*waggles left hand* ... yes...

[basically I saw 'lefties' trending on twitter, it's the only reason I know.... ]

So who's lucky enough to be a lefty?

primarycat likes this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

[​IMG]

primarycat likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Is this for real or is this some idealised bollixs thought up by a humanities graduate who poorly understood some science papers?
    [​IMG]

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

upload_2019-8-13_15-50-15.png

These things!!!!! Arggggh

Flowersinspring and freckle06 like this.
  6. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Me. I'm left handed too. Have the awkward pen grip to prove it.

lanokia likes this.
  7. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Me!

I once did an excellent assembly on lefties. Got the students talking and thinking. Creative folk, us lefties, especially in a world designed for righties. My Apple Watch has the buttons on the correct side for me though.

No need for an awkward pen grip; just angle the paper.

Hooray for lefties!

primarycat and lanokia like this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Always loved the fact that spiral stairs in medieval castles were set up so that right handed defenders would be able to defend down the staircase because they were the majority... and so attackers would have to send their left handed soldiers up the staircase to get any kind of swing going.

Of course, that meant the lefties died more often...

strawbs and primarycat like this.
  9. primarycat

Evil monstrosities. And pads that as they get used and pages ripped out you can't write into the margin as there is too thick a heap of paper stuns to.get your left hand into. (I know what I mean but accept that may make no sense to anyone else).

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

My pen grip is terrible... took ages for my [right handed] teachers to be able to get me to write legibly.

Then again... my left handed aunt had to teach me to tie my shoelaces.

11. primarycat

Same here. And my gran could never teach me to knit (my right handed brother learnt) because it was too difficult to reverse.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Derp derp...

https://landofthesomething.blogspot.com/2010/02/focus-sentence-recent-study-shows-that.html

Got me wondering though... as we drive on the other side of the road to most of the world... does that even out... my left hand controls the gears and my useless/wicked/evil right hand just turns... hmmm

freckle06 likes this.
  13. primarycat

Fountain-Pen-Kit.jpg

My childhood nemesis.

Flowersinspring and lanokia like this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yep... hated them with a passion... for some reason my primary school thought it vitally important we be able to write with them.

primarycat likes this.
  15. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Why would you need to? You use both hands to knit.

silkywave and lilachardy like this.
  16. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

The car thing makes no sense. You use both hands and both feet to drive. Is the research from the US where most people drive automatics? It's like the children who claim they need a left handed violin. Arguably the violin works better for left handed people but either way, it's a two-handed job.

17. primarycat

I couldn't follow the order she did things in from what I remember. I think I'd naturally start with the other hand to her.

lanokia likes this.
  18. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I think it's your second option

mothorchid, primarycat and lanokia like this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes but the task for each hand is different... unlike knitting they aren't doing the same thing.

20. primarycat

$_12.jpeg
    I was discovered to be the only lefty in a family of right handed people by Mum giving me one of these spoons. I always picked it up with my left hand and the food always pointed away from my mouth.