1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Left at the end of February - advice needed!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by tenzo10, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Hi Theo,
    I'm currently in my 6th year of teaching - on M6 - and have never had any TLR alloawances. I taught my NQT in one school and then relocated and stayed 3 years in my second job. I then moved schools a year past September. At this third school I have not "achieved" - it's an outstanding school and I was consistently getting satisfactory on my observations. I was diagnosed with depression last year and have had some days off with this - last year I had 3 weeks and this year, after Christmas, had 1 week off. School then turned up the pressure even more to the extent that I couldn't cope. In the end, they offered me a compromise agreemenet to leave, with a resignation date of 29th February. I do have an agreed reference from the school (and a glowing reference from my previous employer). My former second in department would also write me a reference (my former HoD has left the school, and hers wouldn't be much better than the agreed reference) - how will it look if I put her as my reference rather than our "executive" head - and do the school need to acknowledge which person was asked to do the reference?
    I am now taking a little bit of time before applying for another job. I have a number of reasons for leaving - no opportunity to progress my career (at my previous school I was working (very successfully with trainees)), my fiancee being ill but I wonder if any school will actually listen to this - instead just focussing on my illness record. I also have an appointment with occupational health that was arranged prior to my agreeing to leave - will this be useful in showing other schools that I am capable, or will they shy away from this?
    I am looking to get a job for September (and enjoying my extended holiday!) but worry how this decision not to take work at the minute will look for prespective employers... I don't want to do supply as I feel that the additional stress of that particular job will not help my recovery. Overall, I'm sure I have given you the gist of what I'm asking at the minute - how to explain in my job application, if I've got a chance of other employment (I am an outstanding teacher, I was just not showing it in my last job) and what to do about Occupational Health.
    Thank you in advance for your help, and sorry for the incoherent rambling - my job application will be more clear, I assure you!
    Tenzo10

2. Hi Theo,
    I'm currently in my 6th year of teaching - on M6 - and have never had any TLR alloawances. I taught my NQT in one school and then relocated and stayed 3 years in my second job. I then moved schools a year past September. At this third school I have not "achieved" - it's an outstanding school and I was consistently getting satisfactory on my observations. I was diagnosed with depression last year and have had some days off with this - last year I had 3 weeks and this year, after Christmas, had 1 week off. School then turned up the pressure even more to the extent that I couldn't cope. In the end, they offered me a compromise agreemenet to leave, with a resignation date of 29th February. I do have an agreed reference from the school (and a glowing reference from my previous employer). My former second in department would also write me a reference (my former HoD has left the school, and hers wouldn't be much better than the agreed reference) - how will it look if I put her as my reference rather than our "executive" head - and do the school need to acknowledge which person was asked to do the reference?
    I am now taking a little bit of time before applying for another job. I have a number of reasons for leaving - no opportunity to progress my career (at my previous school I was working (very successfully with trainees)), my fiancee being ill but I wonder if any school will actually listen to this - instead just focussing on my illness record. I also have an appointment with occupational health that was arranged prior to my agreeing to leave - will this be useful in showing other schools that I am capable, or will they shy away from this?
    I am looking to get a job for September (and enjoying my extended holiday!) but worry how this decision not to take work at the minute will look for prespective employers... I don't want to do supply as I feel that the additional stress of that particular job will not help my recovery. Overall, I'm sure I have given you the gist of what I'm asking at the minute - how to explain in my job application, if I've got a chance of other employment (I am an outstanding teacher, I was just not showing it in my last job) and what to do about Occupational Health.
    Thank you in advance for your help, and sorry for the incoherent rambling - my job application will be more clear, I assure you!
    Tenzo10