1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Left a secondary PGCE course, want to apply for primary.

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by GailyGumdrops, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Hello all,

I began a secondary PGCE course in 2006, but due to several reasons I left the course at the end of the Spring term.

After having a few years to think about my situation, I have decided that I would like to apply for a part time primary PGCE course. This was what I wanted to do intially, but ended up on a course that really was not for me.

I am now left wondering where all this will leave me should I apply for this course.Financially, in terms of loans etc I am not expecting anything seeing as I have already taken loans for my undergraduate course and the secondary PGCE; I have not made any repayments on these since I have not earned over the threshold since graduating.

Will I still be eligible to receive a bursary from the university if I get on to the course? Will they be made aware that I have been enrolled on a PGCE course before when they register me?

Also, do you think it is best to say something to the university about my situation when I apply or not mention it? To be honest, other than the possible financial implications I really don't think that my past bad experiences will make much difference to my ability to be successful on this course and I am worried that my leaving a similar course previously will reflect poorly on me.

Thanks for any advice you can offer

2. Hello all,

I began a secondary PGCE course in 2006, but due to several reasons I left the course at the end of the Spring term.

After having a few years to think about my situation, I have decided that I would like to apply for a part time primary PGCE course. This was what I wanted to do intially, but ended up on a course that really was not for me.

I am now left wondering where all this will leave me should I apply for this course.Financially, in terms of loans etc I am not expecting anything seeing as I have already taken loans for my undergraduate course and the secondary PGCE; I have not made any repayments on these since I have not earned over the threshold since graduating.

Will I still be eligible to receive a bursary from the university if I get on to the course? Will they be made aware that I have been enrolled on a PGCE course before when they register me?

Also, do you think it is best to say something to the university about my situation when I apply or not mention it? To be honest, other than the possible financial implications I really don't think that my past bad experiences will make much difference to my ability to be successful on this course and I am worried that my leaving a similar course previously will reflect poorly on me.

Thanks for any advice you can offer

3. I am worried that my leaving a similar course previously will reflect poorly on me.
    Yes, that will be uppermost in any selector's mind. Will the same thing happen? So you must stress in your personal statement that how you realised that secondary wasn't for you and now you are fully committed to primary teaching. I hope you have plenty of up-to-date primary experience in mainstream schools. You will have to mention your previous PGCE attempt under Higher Education. Don't hide it - they will soon find out when they try to register you for bursary and with GTC.
    Having said that, as you know the competition for primary is getting hotter all the time, and you will face stiff competion from other high-quality candidates. You also need a good degree in a relevant subject.
    As for financial support, should you get on primary PGCE, you should be allowed another full bursary, as you are starting afresh and not taking any credit from your previous course. As for grant and loans, you will probably have to argue your case, stressing that the reason for not completing previous PGCE was unrelated to not making academic progress but was purely your private decision.
    You have nothing to lose by applying, but expect a tough time ahead.