1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leeds Festival...anyone been before?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by msmuse, Aug 11, 2011.

1. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

Hello, I have bought tickets for myself, my 15 yr old son and 19 yr old niece to go to Leeds Festival as a late birthday present to my son. I am really nervous as I have never been to a festival, and my preconception of it is loads of rowdy teenagers, terrible toilets and really noisy bands! I adore Muse, who are headlining...but I am dreading the rest... what is it really like at a day festival?

2. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

Hello, I have bought tickets for myself, my 15 yr old son and 19 yr old niece to go to Leeds Festival as a late birthday present to my son. I am really nervous as I have never been to a festival, and my preconception of it is loads of rowdy teenagers, terrible toilets and really noisy bands! I adore Muse, who are headlining...but I am dreading the rest... what is it really like at a day festival?

3. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

Are you just going for a day or camping for the weekend?

Either way the worst thing you will experience is the toilets. I'm not going to sugarcoat it for you - the toilets are absolutely vile!

You will have a good time despite that though, the atmosphere is brilliant and everyone is there to have a good time. Don't get too close to the stage though if you don't want to be crushed to death!

If you are camping just a word of warning, people go a bit crazy on the last night, I remember when I went people were starting fires all over the place - just be careful!

4. I haven't been to Leeds, but have been to V a couple of times. Muse are fantastic live, I cried because they were just so good!
    As you said day festival, I take it you aren't camping or anything? That will make it more bearable. I'm not the camping type but do tolerate it for 3 nights just because of how fantastic it is.
    The toilets can be quite bad; just make sure you take some tissues and alcohol gel (and maybe a shewee if you want to avoid them alogether!) There is plenty to do / see, and you'll get a lot of walking done. It is possible to get away from the big stages / bands if you need to, in between seeing the people you want to see. Also, unless you're deperate to be really close to the front, it is possible to watch the bands without being crushed in a big crowd and still be able to see well enough.
    Phone signals can sometimes be dodgy because of the sheer number of people there all making calls, so make sure you chose a central, easy to find place to be a designated meeting point at certain times, or if you get lost / separated.
    Just chll out and go with it, you'll have an awesome time. [​IMG]

5. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

Thanks captain oats for your reply :) We are only doing the day, and despite my son and niece's desperation there is no way I am going to the front (I'm too old for all that now!). I have been to the MK Bowl several times and I remember the toilets there...AWFUL! I think it is pretty much going to be as I imagine it!

6. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

Awwww scobberlotcher, thanks! The whole reason we are going is our love of Muse - I can't wait, and your comment has made me more excited than ever - the awful toilets will pale when we see and hear them :)

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My eldest went twice, as did my youngest. The second time the eldest went she took an extra tent and a small shovel so her and her mates had their own toilet (her idea not mine). The last night can get silly in places - some choose to kip in the car park. The morning after, the main car park looks like the scene of a major air disaster, with dazed survivors staggering about in tattered clothes. If it rains the parking/pick up area gets very muddy indeed. Also, take careful note of the one way system on approach and when leaving, especially if SatNavving - there's no avoiding it. If you're being picked up, tell them to get there early to avoid queues. You'll get the best camping spots if you have early bird tickets.

8. Yup, three times, and once to Reading festival.
    It can get a bit rowdy around the campsites, especially as many of the festival goers are young teens enjoying their first experience away from home. As another poster said, it usually gets a bit crazy on the last night.
    The arena itself (where the stages are) is a bit saner. You can't take your own alcohol in to the arena, and have to buy it at expensive festival prices, so I think the drunken teens tend to sober up a bit!
    Expect disgusting toilets and long queues for the pleasure.
    Also expect cups of urine being thrown around the crowd, and it to get pushy and very squashed towards the front of the stage. There are big screens dotted about, so you can just relax on the bank and sit down with a drink if you don't want to be standing for the duration.
    We're debating on whether or not to buy day tickets for the Friday.. It's a good line up. [​IMG]

9. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

Yeah, we have day tickets for the Friday - this is my first ever festival experience, which at my age (over 40 put it that way!) is a bit overdue and quite scary. I am glad to hear that I don't have to walk about without sitting down the whole day - phew! Only going for Muse, don't know about the rest in the line-up.

10. Definitely go online and check the lineup for the rest of the day and Spotify some of the bands. It's a long day if you're just waiting for the one band and it won't really be worth it. You might get the opportunity to see a band in a tiny tent that in a few years will be headlining arenas. There's plenty to cater for most tastes at Leeds fest, so you should find somebody you will enjoy.
    The toilets will be grim (putting it lightly). A top loo tip, if you're using a portaloo, get one of the people you're with to stand outside the door and hold it open a crack to allow some fresh air in. Failing that, hold your nose, take a deep breath and wee faster than you've ever weed before!

11. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

This is a late reply, but thanks to all for your advice. As it was the first day, the toilets were 'OK', and the queues for toilets and bars were nowhere near as bad as I thought they would be. The whole day was amazing and I think I am suffering from 'Leeds festival withdrawal!' Muse were amazing :)

12. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

Sorry - too many 'amazings' - awesome is a better adjective for Muse

13. Ah, I went to Reading this year (been to Leeds in the past - WAY too rowdy on the last night for me [​IMG] ) and Muse were fantastic on the Sunday, a perfect way to end the weekend!