1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leeds, Bradford, West Yorkshire

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by emmadrg, Mar 5, 2012.

1. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

Hello lumpyloo (what a great name!)
    I'm trying to get supply work in the Leeds/Wakefield area with some success - getting a couple of days a week at the minute, mainly through Reed, although it will depend on what you teach and if you are primary or secondary. I'm hearing from lots of different places (supply teachers, agencies, schools) that primary bookings are far more plentiful than secondary as secondaries tend to use cover supervisors. Grrrr!
    Who have you tried to join with? I'm with four agencies now and thinking of joining even more!
    Good luck! [​IMG]

2. lumpyloo

lumpyloo New commenter

I haven't tried to re-register with Reed yet. I am a Primary Teacher. Last time I did supply I had 5 agencies, I can see it is going to be the same again. I did work every day though.

I've tried Teaching Personnel and Hays so far. I'll have to pester them.

And then I've got to apply for 'proper' jobs!!!

Thank you - I'll need the luck!

3. If you do join other agencies make sure that you don't pay money for a CRB up front. By all means fill in the forms but arrange that they will take the money out of your first day's supply. That way you don't lose out when they totally ignore you after registration and they pretend that they have not got the proper information/references etc. I was harangued by the young miss for Reed because I cancelled a registration interview because she suddenly required a character reference from someone who had known me 5 years. Apparently this was to cover periods of unemployment in case I turn into Mr. Hyde when I am not teaching.
    Hays is a complete dead loss. When I first joined it took 8 months and a call to head office because he pestered one of my referees so much for 'one more thing' that I guess he told him what to do with himself. The second time the girl based her interview technique on the final program of the apprentice where they rip the applicants CVs apart. Apparently I had not accounted for every day of my life for the last ten years. I refused to hand over £44 for the CRB and never heard from them again apart from the odd email where they want to send me to China or Dubai etc.
    You've made a rum pair of choices for agencies.

4. lumpyloo

lumpyloo New commenter

Thank you everyone for the advise. I'll contact more agencies and ask them more questions about CRBs. I'll go mad if I don't get enough work.

5. lumpyloo

lumpyloo New commenter

The rate is low -£100 a day :-( and the scheme doesn't run between June and October. So, by the time my CRB and references come back the scheme won't be running. Oh well, if I haven't found a job by September I'll be able to carry on with the scheme.

6. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

Have you tried Visionforeducation, they have a fairly new office in Huddersfield, which I am registered with and they cover West Yorkshire, but you have to pay for your own CRB, I would avoid Teachers UK. They promise alot, but deliver little.

7. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

i just looked at their website and it said they pay the best rates...
    What are their top rates of pay? I'm M6.

8. Hi,
    I registered with ITN Mark in Leeds over the summer and I've had more work than I actually really want ever since. Average 4 days per week regularly.

9. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

To be honest, I am not sure it may be around £140, plus travelling expenses, but speak to the agency, but I know they pay me more then the other agencies that I am signed up with, It is better to sign up with a number of agencie, rather then depend on just 1 agency for work..

10. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

Really? I didn't think ANY agencies paid those! I think they may be worth a call! Cheers.

11. lumpyloo

lumpyloo New commenter

I've found that agencies do a tax thing where your mileage is taken into consideration. I don't understand why you can do this as a supply teacher and not a permanent member of staff.

12. I'm an NQT (primary) living in Bradford, I'm registered with Connex and they're getting me a fair bit of work. The pay is done as said above (expenses offset against tax). I'm just trying to find out which agencies other NQTs have found it worthwile joining? How much are you being paid/are you getting the work you were promised?