1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leeds/Bradford Supply

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Monikara2, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Monikara2

Monikara2 New commenter

Hey all,

I'm an NQT, I did have a job but I have had to unfortunately leave it due to a horrendous experience with the HT. I'm looking into doing supply in the Leeds/Bradford area now untill I find another job.

Does anyone have any recommendations on supply agencies I should be getting in contact with and how much I should expect to get paid a day?

Thanks.

2. Jenexell

Jenexell New commenter

As an NQT your pay rate will be the lowest on the scale. could be as low as £60-90 a day.

As for the agencies, I found my way to mine by answering adds on Indeed and Reed. Supply staff and even regular staff leave at a moments notice all the time, leaving schools stuck needing an immediate replacement outside the standard hiring periods. These positions don't tend to be advertised on the TES, instead the schools contact agencies who will put out adds on recruitment websites if they don't have someone who fits the bill. Answering these adds won't neccessarily get you the job, but it will get you on their books. Depending on what you can travel, pick a milage or time radious you're happy with and search for jobs in that area, then do a bit of research. Google up reviews of the agencies you've seen. if you're happy with what you see, make sure your CV is as epic as you can make it and apply.

After this you'll usually be asked to come into the office to register. be prepared for some serious travelling during this period if you've applied to more than one place. Make yourself up a file with your DBS certificate (if you don't have one this will slow things down considerably) two forms of photo id, recent utility bills or bank statements, all your qualification certificates (yes one agency did ask me for my GCSE certificates), your CV, a bundle of passport photos, something with your national insurance number on (pay slip, p60, p45, national insurance card) and anything else you might need to show who you are, like a marriage certificate. Take that with you to every meeting. if they email you with an application form, DO fill it in, email it back and print yourself a copy for your file before you go, it will save time and hand cramp later.

Also think about the answers to some of these questions.

• What subjects would you be willing to teach? Are you willing to teach outside your area?
    • If you're primary, would you teach in a secondary school (some schools have a transition phase)
    • If you're secondary, would you teach primary?
    • are you happy to teach special needs? or in a PRU or AP?
    • What SEN, EAL, or BESD experience do you have? Are you willing to explore these areas more?
    • Are you willing to be up and dressed, ready to leave the house at 7:30am regardless of whether you know you have work that day or not?
    • what kind of school would you like to work in? are there any schools, or types of schools you'd actively like to avoid?
    • what kind of roles are you looking for? Just day to day? Long term? Short term? Permanent? Any thing and everything because gods damn it that mortgage won't pay itself?
    The more you're willing to do, the more flexible you are, the more likely you are to get work. But be reasonable. If you've no experience with BESD for example or your behaviour management is your weakest area, saying you'd love to work in a PRU may be biting off more than you can chew. Be confident, but think seriously about what you can realistically do.

Be honest. You've left your school mid term under not the greatest circumstances by the sound of it. most agencies will be sympathetic to your plight, and they want your daily rate coming in, but schools can be fussy. Explain what happened to your consultant. are they going to struggle to get a reference? what kind of reference are they going to get? do you have anyone else who can give you a reference in the last two years to balance out what you might get from your last school? Beware of agreed references. They ring alarm bells and are pretty damned obvious to anyone reading them. If you've got one, admit to it, and be prepared to answer about it with any school your placed at or get an interview with.

Pay rates and getting paid. Urgh. Mine field. SAY NO TO COVER SUPERVISOR. or at least ask what the daily rate is compared to a teachers rate. Cover supervisors don't need to be qualified teachers and while they get more work (because they're cheaper) you won't get anything long term. It also doesn't look awesome on your CV. its a demotion. plain and simple.

You'll also get umbrella companies pushed at you left right and centre. If you're working for multiple agencies doing day to day they can be a god send, but don't expect to see the bulk of your day rate. Some agencies insist on an umbrella, which is a pain. if you sign on with one of those, wait until they get you work before signing on the dotted line with the umbrella and if they get you long term work, check if you have the option not to use one at all. you'll get more of your rate that way.

Once you've got through all this with the consultant at the agency, you'll need to wait to be cleared for work unless they get you interviews. Don't expect miracles over night. It took me 8 weeks to be cleared to work for Randstad and I had everything in order.

When you finally get a call it could an early morning call for that day or some time in advance. Check that what you're being asked to go in for is being paid. Sometimes agencies will send you to a school to "look around". to see if you like the school or if the school like you. those days tend to be an unpaid prelude to an interview. You might also be asked to go in to teach for a day even if you asked for no day to day. this will be like a day long interview before an interview, but will actually be paid. If you don't like a school you've been sent to, stick out the day and tell your consultant. Don't just leave. Headteachers talk to each other and that kind of thing sticks in both the mind and the craw.

Long-term to permanent. The holy grail and the longest interview you will ever do. If you get an assignment which is long term with the possibility of going permanent at the end of it, treat every day like an interview. seriously. If you want to stay make the best damned impression you can, work your butt off and don't treat the job like you're supply; arriving just before the bell, skipping out with the kids and avoiding all meetings and training after school hours. Common sense? you'd think right? you'd be amazed how many people work to supply rules and are amazed when the school doesn't want to pay the hefty fee to the agency to break them out of their contract and take them on permanently.

Market saturation. This is a thing. a big thing. going with more than one agency is common sense, going with a dozen in the same area won't help you. If more than one agency is shopping you around, from time to time your cv will pass across someone's desk more than once, it happens and its no real problem, but if it happens all the damned time and its not two copies someone's getting but ten, you start to look desperate, unemployable and just the mention of your name can start to peeve. 5 is good number. with maybe 3 more just looking for permanent roles.

Cold calls. If you sign up to recruitment websites, recruiters will cold call you. unavoidable. they rarely have actual vacancies to offer, just want to get you on the books. Think carefully before agreeing, especially if they want to do all the information handling by email or post. Remember you're essentially handing over every peice of information anyone would need to steal your identity. Personally I wouldn't hand anything over unless I was meeting someone face to face in their own offices.

On the topic of agencies that aren't what they appear to be. Reed Education. Always has adverts on indeed and reed.co.uk. Their website doesn't work and they never respond to any applications or online enquiries. your phone gets busy with cold calls after you contact them though.

Other agencies. From my experience.

Randstad - Huge. probably the widest coverage in west yorkshire. but SLOW. They also like to send you random texts about jobs that have nothing to do with you. mid range rates.
    Engage - extremely friendly, good rates and constant contact after you've signed up. They do something called an iDay which is like a cattle market for supply teachers. its insane, but fun, and can lead to a diary of interviews. worth looking into.
    Supply Desk - part of a wider group, also covers huddersfield. good rates of pay and friendly service. but you'll rarely speak to your consultant.
    Academic Appointments - Low rates of pay. probably the lowest. but long established with good links to a lot of schools. friendly, helpful, and accomodating. I found my dream job through these guys and can't speak highly enough of them despite the barrel bottom scraping daily rate.
    Rotherwood - Based in burnley, has an office in keighley. reasonable pay rates and good school links if you're happy to travel, but contact is predominantly by email.
    Just Teachers - fairly new, based in skipton (cutest offices ever). lovely people and middle of the road rates of pay. Never got work through them, but that doesn't mean you won't. give them a try.
    First Choice education - just broken into the education market and are building their school links all the time. based in wakefield but cover leeds and bradford. They appose umbrella companies and have reasonable rates of pay. good degree of contact and their lead consultant is always willing to talk on the phone.
    Provide education - Brighouse based but cover most of west yorkshire. fairly new to the game but gaining contacts. very efficient. was cleared in a week with these guys.
    Protocol education - big company, fairly new leeds branch. good contacts and nice set up. they like to go into schools and market out people on their books and are good at arranging interviews. good rates of pay and no insistence on an umbrella.
    Education Network - offices in the same building as academic appointments. lots of contact with consultants and regular check ins. good rates.

There are many others out there too, but I haven't dealt with any of them so can't advise.

finally after all that, its also worth mentioning that its worth checking the TES at the moment as people planning to leave at christmas are putting in their notice now.

Hope this has been helpful to you. Good luck!

claugirl77 and ilovesooty like this.
  3. Monikara2

Monikara2 New commenter

Thank you so much, much appreciated. This is all very helpful!

In reply to the above, I have a reference it's just very vague that mainly says I have not worked in the school long enough for majority of the different parts of the reference. I really hope it's not going to cause issues. It seems so much easier to not even mention I worked at the school but I understand that not withholding information can cause bigger problems. I do have other people I can get references from such as my university and placement schools.