1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving your first teaching post.

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by beth456, Dec 27, 2018.

1. beth456

beth456 New commenter

Hi all,

I HOPE that this will turn into a success story and help others in my position.... however, at the moment it's just a comment.

I previously posted about being off with stress from my first teaching post in a nursery setting. Since I made the post I went back to work but the situation became unbearable and I made the hard decision to leave. I've heard mixed advice about how wise it is / was to do this but I felt I had no choice as my mental health was suffering.

At the moment I'm completely shell-shocked by the whole situation and my confidence is a rock bottom.... but I'm about to get back out there and look for a new job. Wish me luck and hopefully I'll have some positive news in the future!

ATfan and (deleted member) like this.
  2. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

Good luck and I think you made the right decision! :) I wouldn't worry about it! I left my first post too for the same reason as you and am now doing very well in a much better college. I've been there for 5 years and have worked in many other colleges and some schools since leaving my first job. Leaving my first post didn't put employers off at all.

I hope that the New Year brings you the much better work place that you deserve! :)

3. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Good luck Beth. I had a similar situatuon recently where I left a job because it was making me mentally ill. One suggestion, my local Adult Education college do a six week Building Self Condidence course which I’ve enrolled on. It’s completely free. It might be worthwhile seeing if there is something similar in your area? Mine do a lot of Health and Well-being courses as there is so much demand for this type of support currently. Look on your next job as a clean slate, that’s what I’m doing. Keep in touch and let us know how it’s all going! Best wishes x

beth_hayter likes this.
  4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Every best wish for finding a new career. Let us know how you get on.