1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving your children on their own - how old?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by headforheights, Feb 24, 2011.

1. i used to leave son on his own for 15 mins or so whilst i collected daughter from tube each day from the age of 7. as well as precautions others have mentioned, i drilled into him that he was not to try to deal with anything that went wrong (eg if you drop a glass and it breaks, walk out of the room - do not attempt to clear up)
    not long after all this had started, he had an ed psych test (part of a series of tests leading to his diagnosis of dyspraxia) when she reviewed it with me, she pointed up that she'd asked what he'd do if next door's house caught fire (we live in a semi) he'd said 'get the hell out' which she considered showed a lack of empathy
    in a 7yo, i thought it showed amazing common sense

2. That's exactly what ours have been taught to do

3. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

My 14 year old picks his 6 year old sister up from school and they are together for no more than an hour before an adult gets home.
    They must not bake or boil a kettle - only cold drinks and food!
    It is in his interests to be nice to her as it is how he earns his pocket money, and she knows he is in charge.
    I will leave him at home alone for an hour or two in the holidays or weekend but if he hasn't got anything to do for longer than that he can come with us otherwise he will just play on his PS3 until his eyes bleed.

4. My 12yo twins are often left for up to 90 minutes while I do the grocery shopping or similar. They have strict instructions not to answer the phone or door and definitely not to say that I am out if they inadvertently speak to anyone.This has caused a problem when I have tried to phone them to ask about items on the shopping list and nobody answers, even if I keep ringing back!

5. and yet it was, according to the ed psych, a bad thing
    thank heavens he got into the hands of a neurologist!
    last poster - mobiles are handy here - you can text 'ring me'

6. Silly woman! That is exactly what I have taught mine to do!
    In fact, yesterday a house was on fire near us (we could see the smoke but it was a street away) and my kids had their coats on and were shouting "OUT! Meeting zone at the back on the pavement!"
    I hadn't realised I had drilled them quite that well...

7. I solved this problem - my number is shown as "MUM calling".
    They also both know off by heart:
    My landline number
    Their dad's landline number
    My mobile number
    Their dad's landline number.
    They are not allowed to answer otherwise, if we are not around.
    And if they do answer - Mum is in the bath and will return the call a.s.a.p.!

8. respect to the cq juniors!

9. Plus they know that if they have to escape, they have to go and knock on Frau O's door (the cherry pancake granny).

10. hmmm, yes, although it was quite...pavlonian!