1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving your children on their own - how old?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by headforheights, Feb 24, 2011.

1. dande

dande New commenter

Oh, does this mean I can leave D on her own one day? She's two!

2. Of course you can dande one day. Probably in about 5 or 6 years!

Ah for those Swallows and Amazons days that, when I read them the first time, didn't seem at all unreasonable or impossible!

3. As others have said, it very much depends on your kids and how they will cope. I don't think you can fit it to a specific age.
    However, if it is any help - my son is 11 and can cope easily with being left for up to an hour.
    Under the proviso that:
    He knows where I am going.
    He can contact me on my mobile.
    He knows when I will be back.
    No answering the door or the phone.
    He knows the fire drill and where to knock or ring if I do not return.
    Daughter is 9 and I would not yet leave her totally alone and I do not like leaving her with son, as I find that a heck of a responsibility for him.
    But we have reached a compromise (as she is a nag) and I will leave them both if I am only popping to the shop for a max. of 10 mins.
    The provisos then are:
    NO arguments.
    And I can tell, I can so tell if they have had an argument...
    Very different to my upbringing - we were all left to our own devices a lot of the time and had to start cooking tea, do the laundry, light the fire, etc.
    How times change...

4. Daughter = 11 or so

Son = worry now and he is 24

There is no absolute answer

5. I am not sure the worry ever stops, does it?

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I was left alone for short periods in charge of my younger sister when I was 10....No-one thought anything of it at the time.
    My nephew was allowed to be on his own at age 12....and had his 'home alone' priveleges revoked recently at age 15. ...His dad came home early to find hime 'entertaining' a girlfriend...his dad has now decided that my nephew will be trusted again when he reaches the age of 35!

7. headforheights

headforheights New commenter

Like The Pobble, I was a latch key kid and after my parents split up was left with my brother (he was 18months older than me) from the age of 8 or so while mum went to work. Most of the other kids were the same on the estate where I grew up. Amazing how times change!!

8. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Why would anyone?

9. Good point!
    If my memory serves me right, you live me near as well!
    Hasn't it got an excellent reputation!

10. OI, I grew up in a right skanky area.
    I survived.
    I wouldn't put my kids through it though.
    I have gone soft in my old age.
    But I do expect them to be a bit independent (hence the 17 mins in the tram).
    Maybe growing up in a skanky area makes you tougher? Does it?
    I think it may do.

11. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I caught the bus to school on my own from the age of 5. I babysat for friends of my parents from age 11.

12. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Skeg Vegas. It's like Mecca round here. Years ago I worked in a village where half the kids wouldn't come back after the summer holiday. They'd decided Skegness was heaven and they were going to live there forever. So they'd do a council swap. Fast forward to November( or February for the tough nuts) they'd be back with their tail between their legs.

Happy ( free ) holidays at the miners camp when I was a kid though, so not all bad!

13. Yes, it didn't used to be like it is now at all!
    We used to go quite often to the miners holiday camp when I was younger.
    Now it's all pound shops and carboots.
    yu goin ont boot duck?

14. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Which house were you? I'd totally forgotten and had to ask my mum. We were Florence.

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Ah the mudflats of Skeggie, it's all coming back now me duck. A guy from the Caribbean once told me that shortly after he'd arrived in Britain as a child, his parents decided to take him to the sea, and Skeggie was their chosen destination. This kid was expecting a warm azure coloured ocean, soft white sands, and palm trees.
    Boy, was he cruelly deceived ;-)

16. Haven't got a clue! I will have to ask my Mum when I next see her!
    I gather I was right and you must be from Derbyshire then!!

17. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Ah that'd be telling!

18. I berrie *** understand uh word anyon weh sayin!

19. That word was c.unt - as used in Skeggy meaning "couldn't".
    I forgot it was a swear word when I was typing this!

20. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I once took a whole school to skeggy for the day. It was a small
    School, we took the parents too. Great fun!