1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving work to train on SCITT in September but scared to tell them!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Teacher_Jen, Feb 14, 2012.

1. As the title states basically.
    I know that I'm going to have to leave, despite this only being a part time job but its really worrying me now.
    I'm going to have to hand my notice in mid august/end of august because of giving the full four weeks notice.
    I will have been with the company a year and 6 months when I do hand in my resignation and the whole things is scaring the life out of me.
    I'm worried about my manager's reaction and also how they will all treat me in my last four weeks there.
    Obviously teaching is something I truely want to do but I just wish I didn't have the added pressure of this on my head.
    Anyone else in a similar situation?

2. Unless there is a complicated and unpleasant background to this that you haven't mentioned, I think what they'll say is.... "You're going to be a teacher? Cool! Good luck!
    It's a part time job, they can't expect your undying loyalty, and, indeed, they won't. Unless you're working for the Mafia. In which case, slightly different rules about exit procedure apply. But they are grown-ups: people leave jobs all the time. They won't even blink (other than to be sorry to see tyou go)
    Honestly, I really don't see it being a problem and I wouldn't waste any time whatsoever being stressed about it. You'll encounter far more stressful situations in your PGCE.
    They will be fine with you in your notice period, advertise the job, be swamped with applications in the current job market and move on. I've been an employer - trust me, it's really not even a thing! And if they are vicious and unprofessional to you when you hand in your notice then just leave and don't come back. Easy!

3. jaimexuk

jaimexuk New commenter

I'm on a PGCE now.

I left my job in August after working there for 7 years (the past three years part time).

I told my manager the year before I left that I was applying and she couldn't have been more supportive. She gave me last minute holidays to prepare for my interview (I was only given the interview date 6days before) and let me do lots of over time to bank money for my PGCE year.

4. sparkleshine

sparkleshine New commenter

I'm in the same situation myself - I'll have been there a year and 7 months. My advice is - don't worry about it! I've had to leave several jobs due to returning to study, etc and I've never had a problem. Remember that you have to look after your own prospects, because at the end of the day your life is your own. Employers understand that people have other ambitions. As long as you give the required notice period it shouldn't be a problem.

5. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

I left my job after 6 years to do my teacher training, but I had the full support of my colleagues, they all knew I was going for the interview, my boss wrote my reference, and they couldn't have been happier for me.

I believe that honesty is the best policy, and I personally would tell my employer now so that my resignation didn't come as a shock! They might want to get someone to work alongside you to learn the job before you leave so I think it's best you give them that option.

Best of luck with it all!

6. alwalsh

alwalsh New commenter

I've just accepted a place on a PGCE starting this Sept and I am in full time work at the moment. They have no idea about this, I had to take holidays to do experience in schools and for my interview. I have only been in this role since September and was asked at interview if I had any plans to return to studies! I needed the job so kept my plans to myself...
    Although it is not going to be pleasant handing in my notice, I have to give 4 weeks notice. As money is going to be tight next year, I planned on telling them at the latest opportunity so I can save as much as possible between now and Sept.
    My only issue is that I am going on holiday for 2 weeks in August and would return to work on the 22nd Aug. My provisional start date would be the 10th Sept! Does anyone know if I am within my rights to hand my notice in, go on holiday as planned, then work my last week in August before leaving?
    I can't see my boss being too supportive hence why I am reluctant to tell him of my plans now.
    Thanks

7. sparkleshine

sparkleshine New commenter

As long as you have the entitlement to the paid holiday, then yes, you can take that within the notice period. If you don't think your employer will be supportive then I can see why you wouldn't want to tell them earlier. 4 weeks is enough time to advertise the job and get someone else. If it's a smaller place though it might be worth telling them a little earlier just as a courtesy - but yes, it's fine to take the holiday as long as you have the entitlement.