1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving video

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Beccahigham, May 29, 2016.

1. Beccahigham

Beccahigham New commenter

Two staff in my department are retiring at the end of this term - one has been teaching here for 11 years and the other for 35! I want to do some kind of video for them from the kids to say goodbye with photos/funny anecdotes etc but am struggling to think how to pull it all together - has anyone done something similar or seen something that looked great?

TIA!

2. DIrectorStudies

DIrectorStudies New commenter

It's quite easy to do using Windows Movie Maker. It would be a good project for enthusiastic students to undertake.

3. ultimatedingbat

ultimatedingbat Established commenter

I reccomend proshow! It's amazing

4. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

I've done it on iMovie, templates include the shots you need to take. It might be best to parody something, that way you have a format to follow.

5. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

iMovie is brilliant for making quite an impressive-looking film - you can import a music backing track, include voice-overs, still shots and video. I would definitely recommend it!

6. Beccahigham

Beccahigham New commenter

Thanks for all your suggestions - I am planning on using iMovie and have used it before... am just struggling to think of songs/style for the theme. I am trying to find old photos of the staff and am going to film the kids talking about them but feel it needs something to link it all...

7. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

I would suggest something that resonates with the person leaving - from their era, a song that sums up their time at the school/with the students but one they can also recognise/relate to. When I have made videos I have always tried to appeal to the person leaving more than the audience, it is after all their memory of their time at the school. I would suggest a chronological timeline - start with images from the beginning, sprinkle in faces from the past (old students perhaps?) Then consider how you can up-date it for the current students. I would suggest including lots of happy memories, these things can be a bit like a Best Man's speech - best to remember the good times (not saying you wouldn't but nostalgia can be a funny emotion). Good luck! It's a big job but the recipient will be very grateful, it's an incredibly thoughtful gift to make, they are very lucky.

slingshotsally likes this.