1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving Union

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by emeralds, Jan 25, 2020.

1. emeralds

emeralds New commenter

Hi All,
    I received an enhanced ill health retirement and left teaching on 31st December. Retirement hasn't started as I had hoped as I haven't been well. I have been putting my affairs in order. I emailed to cancel my gym membership; they were very nice about it and stopped my membership immediately without me having to pay for three more months as per the contract. However, I have heard nothing from the NAHT although I sent a similar email to them. Do you think I should give them a chance to reply to me or just cancel my direct debit to them? Or do you think I should wait a bit in case I need the Union. Can't think why I would need them though.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

There was a similar thread on this not long ago. Can't find it at the moment. Some thought no need to keep membership going, cancel date of retirement. Others thought that because something could happen after you've retired - an allegation made about something you did before retirement - it was worth keeping it going for a year just in case.

I believe there are cheaper subscription rates for retired members in most unions.

strawbs and emeralds like this.
  3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I didn't want to be tempted to go back to do any supply so I cancelled straight away. None of my little Y3 darlings were going to accuse me of anything. if anything had arisen Id have paid for a solicitor. Apparently some house insurance includes legal assistance but as I'm the right side of a shared bottle of red I might be wrong about that.

emeralds likes this.
  4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I cancelled the DD at the end of summer. Parents and pupils were never shy about complaining at my old school,so if there were any issues,I would have known about it before I left. Had no wish of doing any supply either.

emeralds likes this.
  5. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

Some unions do a "life membership" which can be useful to consider if you are/were a HT

emeralds likes this.
  6. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I’m still a retired member - out of loyalty and support for those still (and increasingly) in need of union support.

c. £10 a year is a small token.

7. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I took life membership in case something was raised in the future. As a head,I felt it particularly important. I also keep part time cover as I’m still working in schools.

Lizzie also makes a good point about support for others in the union.

emeralds likes this.
  8. emeralds

emeralds New commenter

Thanks for all your helpful replies. I thought with the NAHT you had to continue to pay half. £10 a year sounds great.

9. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

c. £10 was with NEU ( it was less but I think it increased when the 2 unions combined) - Im not actually sure what ‘cover’ gives me though)

10. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

The NAHT changed their life membership payment a couple of years ago. It’s more than £10. I’ve just checked: one years full membership costs then £36 a year to gain Life Membership.

11. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

I think NEU is now £30