1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving the UK and would like some ideas about my car

Discussion in 'Personal' started by andrew07, Sep 6, 2015.

1. andrew07

andrew07 Occasional commenter

Hi

I am seriously thinking about leaving the UK and Europe. I taught here for a number of years and have a UK passport. However, really put off by the continent and UK being invaded by Asylum seekers and have decided to leave and do my doctoral somewhere else. I've been offered a place on the continent but that is now out of the question. I've thought about Canada, NZ, OZ, and Japan. Are there ways that I can have my car shipped over there? How would I go about it?

2. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Google is your friend. There are websites you can get instant quotes. Do it. Do it now.

3. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

"...the continent and UK being invaded by Asylum seekers..."

Do us a favour and at least get your facts right, will you?

The UK's net migration is currently around 330,000. Of those, by far the majority are not 'asylum seekers' but economic migrants from within the EU - mostly eastern Europe.

I deplore the inability of the UK to control to our satisfaction the influx of EU economic migrants because it means that genuine refugees / asylum seekers are tarred with the same brush.

This country has always had a proud tradition of offering sanctuary to refugees and asylum seekers. The inability of the EU (and the UK) to manage effectively the incoming of peoples is an accident waiting to happen. Many of those people are not asylum seekers but economic migrants - there is an argument that all who came into Europe from a safe country are economic migrants, given that they should have sought asylum in the first safe country they reached. Quite why any prospective migrant currently in Calais or any other port attempting to enter the EU evokes a shred of sympathy is beyond me.

But don't use the excuse you cited and I quoted as a reason to leave the UK. Numbers-wise, it is just not true. Net-migration - you may have an argument, about which people will agree or disagree; numbers of asylum-seekers, however and the figures just don't stack up.

4. andrew07

Maybe the UK isn't...at the moment but the continent is, which is where I wanted to do my PhD and was offered a place. However, seeing that Germany is set to allow almost a million migrants, things don't look good for Native Europeans on the continent and eventually here in the UK. Did you read what I said about me originally moving to the continent?

5. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

So every single university town in Europe is so overrun by refugees, migrants and asylum seekers as to make researching a PhD an impossibilty?

The crossword clue would read "onanist with what sounds like a ship retainer"

6. andrew07

Not impossible, just don't want to be in a third world environment or invest in something that will later on be considered "third world" under the rule of Sharia's Law.

7. doomzebra

Yep, the sooner you vanish from these shores the better.

8. mandala1

9. andrew07

Hi Mandala1 thanks a lot for this as this site is really helpful.

10. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Also, I wonder how you would fund a PhD in OZ, Japan, NZ or Canada- usually it is very difficult to get scholarships and/or grants for overseas students - you would have to be an exceptional student to get said funds and loans aren't usually available for foreign students as well. Also to consider that in Canada, you would need health insurance as a student (although the medical system is similar to the NHS, students cannot avail of it freely (this was decided about 20 years ago). I am not sure about NZ, OZ, etc.

[I did my postgraduate over here (with scholarships/grants) after an American undergraduate; applied to and was accepted by the University of Toronto, but came to the UK instead. I was offered a scholarship for the first year but there were many financial considerations]. TBH, shipping a car over might be the least of your financial worries as car insurance as a student/non-national might take a chunk of any savings or money you have.

ps. I'm one of the swarming hordes, though - an academic migrant!

best wishes

11. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

You don't like immigrants so you want to be one? Is this a wind up?

12. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

Self-awareness and irony are not high priorities among bigots, it seems.

13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

What sparkle said.

14. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I'm probably very naïve and it's just a moment in time but I'm feeling tears in my eyes watching the news. The Germans, all gathered in the train station to welcome the new arrivals! Amazing.

15. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I've always understood from the OP's postings that he/she was an overseas teacher working in the UK? I must be wrong.

16. doomzebra

Our island status means we do not have the communal memory of seeing massive streams of displaced people (either through choice or otherwise) moving through our towns and countryside. The positive reactions of most middle Europeans to the plight of these groups is not surprising.

17. doomzebra

I think the back-story has been 'rebooted' several times.

18. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I see!

19. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

ah...........

20. mandala1