1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving the profession...other options?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by atang, Jul 15, 2016.

1. atang

atang New commenter

Hello everyone,
    Senior Management have decided not to renew my contact citing the 2 year rule in employment law as their back up. They are citing disorganisation as their reasons. This has caused a lot of stress in my life and has made me dispassionate about teaching again as well as a lot of mistrust for senior management.

In the short term I am developing my peripatetic teaching but was hoping that anyone out there could offer some advice on the following:

• Alternative roles aside from teaching but remaining in education
    • Any advice/ suggestions

Thank you in advance

Alan

2. splinters

splinters Established commenter

Not much to go on here...background, education, skills, experience etc.

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

working for a good agency on Supply proved good for me although it cost me approx £50,000 in lost earnings which was not sustainable.

thekillers likes this.
  4. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Hi Alan. I'm sorry to hear your loss. Have you contacted the national careers service? This forum has less information to hand, as I've discovered from experience. They could provide additional ideas to assist with career changes. In the meantime, supply helps yet it's not an ideal permanent option.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Agree supply, although may not be ideal, may be a wah to keep you going until something more suitable comes up. If you need help getting started, there are many helpful posts on the supply forum.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

peripatetic? Does that mean you can teach extra music, if so private schools might be very interested.

7. blaniosh

blaniosh New commenter

A number of education companies use teachers to deliver training and support for their products.

You could always go it alone and set up your own business if you don't mind waking up in the middle of the night every once in a while :)

8. burntoutteacher

burntoutteacher Occasional commenter

Hello :)

I've just escaped teaching and have landed a job with the local authority in the SEN department. They are a little bit few and far between and it depends from council to council, but I've had 4 different interviews for roles in education departments in the last 3 months. In fact, I only secured my job 2 days before the end of term.

And I can safely say that resigning from teaching is the best thing I've ever done!!

Xx

And100 likes this.
  9. DrEmmaKell

DrEmmaKell New commenter

Some research recently showed the most people who leave teaching do actually end up in education somewhere. Some places people I know have ended up that might be worth investigating:

Charities which do educational research, e.g. Education Support - there are plenty of others, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to name them here. Worth a Google.

Further Education establishments.

Teaching assistant work.

Work for universities, including work around encouraging school pupils into university.

Educational publishing - text books etc.

Exam marking (a long of teachers do this in their 'spare' time anyway)

Working abroad at international schools.

Supply isn't everyone's cup of tea but some people love it.

Worth digging around and direct approaches where you find areas of interest.