1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving the profession because I never see my baby...some advice needed (Fresh from a PGCE and been on supply)

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by matildabookworm, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Hi All,

I fell pregnant during my PGCE which was hard but an absolute blessing as we were told we could not have children. To cut a long story short, my little boy was born in August last year (I finished Secondary PGCE in July so was heavily pregnant). I was keen and eager to keep myself up to date with working in school so I have been doing supply since January. However, since April, I have been working on a long term supply in a school I very much like but just part time. I have all my own classes in my subject and they are seeing me as a permanent feature now and I was asked to stay.

BUT........I am leaving to get a full time job OUTSIDE of education. I have secured a position as a PA for a director at an estate agents. I was in admin before I started teaching.

I know I am only part time but obviously I still have planning and marking to do and I am doing this during my evenings and weekends and consequently I never see my little boy who is 9 months old. I know I am going to work full time now at an office but my logic is that I will be home every night to bath him and read stories and not feel stressed out by taking lots of work home. I can also guarentee every weekend that I won't have work to do.

My husband is also a teacher and so the stresses combined can be a bit too much.

I know in my heart I am doing the right thing but do you think I am doing the right thing putting off my NQT year for a couple of years whilst he is still so young?

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Firstly, very well done on completing your PGCE while pregnant - A really big achievement :)

You have to do what works for you?. but here's a few random thoughts?.

If you do plan on returning to teaching at some point, you will be up against PGCE students who have up to date knowledge?. It may be more challenging to compete.

The first two years teaching post qualification are the toughest - As you start to build up a bank of lessons and ability there becomes less need to feel or be bogged down by the things you say consume your weekends and evenings. Mine are certainly no longer like that!

The bonus of teaching with children is the school holidays?.. 13 weeks a year to spend with them may well offset the evenings and weekends you feel compromised over now.

3. j_pink

j_pink New commenter

Hi there,

May I offer a perspective as a mum who also passed my training year heavily pregnant?

My son was born in the Autumn and I started looking for jobs the following Spring. I found that it brought the following positives:

Collecting my son from childcare at 4.00pm when other mums were still at work

The summer holidays are all about us. I put son (now 3) in childcare for 2 days right at the end of the hols and pop into school to set my room up (helps to feel ready)

I fit my planning in on Friday evenings or Sunday evenings too if I'm busy.

I ONLY mark in school time aiming for 10 books a day.

With the right mindset, work can be less stressful (there's some great mindfulness books for busy career mums on Amazon). Your 'whatever, it's a job' attitude needs to be your survival message.

The negatives could outweigh the positives considering you are both teachers, I can really see that. Doing this job relies on my husband's massive support, especially on evenings when we often have nothing left to give...no energy as we're both frazzled!!

I'm actually considering an escape route too. Especially as we want another baby.

You have to be frickin' wonder woman these days.

4. I have to second some of what j_pink has said, i can actually have its advantages being a teacher, you may actually get to spend more time with your son. A lot of it is down to organisation, but with your OH being a teacher I can see how that becomes difficult. Ultimately you know what is best for your child and what ever you decide then that is the right thing to do. Good luck.