1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving the PGCE

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by ch348, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Can anyone help me im thinking of quitting the PGCE im not happy and i feel being only 21 if im not happy now then how i feel after 30 years of teaching and don't see the point in carrying on. My main concern is will i have to pay back the monthly bursary being this far on into the course it wouldn't be financially possible and i will be stuck.

Im not sure i want to talk to my university about this at the moment as i haven't made a proper decision but this will be a big deciding factor. So if anyone knows or can point me in the right direction for some information about this it would be greatly appreciated

2. Sorry to hear you feel the only option you have left is to leave the course.
    Dont do anything yet!! you may really regret it as (if you started the course in Sept like me) Were half way through and survived the Christmas hump!!!. So many posts on this forum say they've left and really regret it. Think of the reasons why you wanted to teach in the first place!!!!
    Talk to your mentor /training manager/ university/ subject leader.
    Sorry cant help you about repaying. But I think your main deciding factor really should be about whats making you so unhappy and wanting to leave then is there anything you can do about it. This is where voicing your concerns with mentors/ uni etc.. can really help. Hopefully you can find some reasons to continue.

What ever you do.
    Good Luck

3. Before you do anything you do need to talk to your tutor if you are unhappy. Teaching is career not a lifelong sentence. You are not committed to 30 years in teaching, many teachers begin in the classroom and their career branches to many other things. A PGCE is stressful and you often cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel. But if you are not failing, if your progress is indicating that you are going to make it and gain QTS then you should gain the qualification as even this is helpful in other careers.
    Talk to your tutor about the difficulties you are having. It may well be that at 21 it ws a little bit too soon for you to enter teaching, but of course you were assessed as having the potential to pass at the outset.
    The bursary does not have to be paid back. It just stops at the point you leave the course, but don't give up just yet - you may regret it. Remember that you do not have to go straight into a job - the uni may well try to get you to doi this as we are 'judged' on emnp0loyment rates - but that is our issue not yours.
    James

4. I'm struggling as well. You only have to look at the number of posts about the same topic to see that you are not on your own in feeling like this.
    Talk to your tutor, I have gone bak to mine and am hoping to get things sorted out...I love teaching and wouldn't want to do anything else.
    There isn't long to go now, literally weeks, and if you read my post you will see that I was really down.
    We can make it, and support is here which I for one am very grateful.
    Don't rush into a decision you may regret.
    Message me anytime if you are feeling down, we can be down together!
    J

5. the bursary is non-repayable, but you will have to pay the tuition fees for this half a year anyway (which is around 1 600 pounds). I am about to quit so I already asked.

6. I am not enjoying it, too much useless paper work, I get no support or respect from my mentor. No week ends, as every day I have to plan, or to fill in some forms, really fed up. I don't have time for my family or myself, I don't like the school system, I don't get the policy, I don't agree with their approach. But because I don't have money for replaying back to the uni, I will contunue the course. What did you decide?

7. also if you receive some grants, they will be calculated and you will have to repay the rest. So check with everyone before you make the next step.

8. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Think carefully.
    You are more than half-way through the course now. You finish your placement by the end of May. That's only 11 weeks away. Two of those weeks will be Easter holidays; an additional bank holiday thrown in for the Royal wedding and the last week of May will be half-term hols.
    Then you have a looooonnnnggg summer to decide what you want to do, with QTS behind you. You can take a break, you can look for a job in another profession, you can do supply teaching if you want to....you generally have more options.
    Is it worth giving up now for the sake of around another 8 weeks of teaching?

9. fantastischfish

Did you research the PGCE before you applied? Did you read these fora to see what the workload was like? This is how it is for everyone, but it DOES get better - or rather, YOU get better and quicker at doing it.
    May I politely suggest that you are not yet experienced enough to disagree with an entire school's approach! That said, you need to find a school whose ethos you DO agree with. Once you do, you will be happier. However, you're never going to be entirely happy with how management choose to do things.

10. Did you research the PGCE before you applied? -
    No, my mistake.

May I politely suggest that you are not yet experienced enough to disagree with an entire school's approach!

I am an overseas trained teacher with 11 years of teaching experience at schools, colleges and universities in different coutries. I think so far I am allowed to have my own opinion and view.

11. fantastischfish

This is ridiculous. I can't have any sympathy, I'm sorry.
    But you haven't taught in this country and do not yet have enough experience of the education system in this country to understand why a school may have certain policies and strategies in place. That said, of course you are entitled to your own teaching ethos and should look for a school that shares this....you don't have any choice where you get placed for you TP, unfortunately!

12. I am not asking for your sympathy, that's all right.
    I did teach in a college in the UK, I used to prepare students for GCSE and A level exams, and it was great and I used to enjoy it. However, I was allowed to use my own approach and teaching methods, which I suppose worked well, as all my students passed their exams, and which are completely different from school methods. The lessons are based on "let's switch pupils' brain off and spoon feed them, and if they want to know the subject and to pass their GCSE, it's their problem". Also, I can say that not many teachers have good subject knowledge, 90 % of our uni group was sent for a booster course, how funny...My mentor makes mistakes during every lesson I observe and cannot explain some rules when pupils ask her to, that makes me really upset because we were warned by the uni not to point at teachers' mistakes.

13. fantastischfish

You now sounds rather arrogant I'm afraid.

14. Well I am a PGDE student (so Scotland as opposed to England) and can so relate to what you're saying. Like I'm sure most students have, I've ditched this course numerous times already, but only in my head and I've not got so close as to look for help in the way you are.
    I just implore you if there is anyway to stay on, then do so. Its easy for me to say as most days I'm free of the family and my partner school may not have been in any way inspiring, but at least they have been good to me. However I'm just starting Level 3 now and seeing case after case of how students don't get the asistance they need from schools ie "just tow the line please" which is painful to experience when we have so much theory in our heads that we're supposed to be putting into practice.
    All I can say is use the experience you've got (which will be invaluable - I wish I had it), don't forget that you clearly enjoy and are indeed good at teaching, ignore those that will put you down and just focus on this process of jumping through hoops. My tutor reminded me not too long ago that this is a split experience we're getting here. We're training to be teachers but the PGD/CE is a qualification in Education, ie theory which seems at times to be miles away from real life, which is just frustrating to say the least. But knowing this has certainly helped me big time to keep an eye on the big picture and keep going, so hoping it might be of help to you too.