1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving the EU., the good news (for a change).

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lexus300, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Rubbish, I've seen you repeat some of the most ridiculous Brexit lies and falsehoods over the last year.

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Examples please.

3. Mangleworzle

Ooh, butter wouldn't melt would it FG?

I am not going to stroke your ego by wasting my time, you have already demonstrated your lack of integrity on this thread and reminded me why I normally don't bother arguing with the dogma of the leavers.

4. florian gassmann

Don't worry, it was obvious to all your readers that you don't have any examples. Still, I expect it made you feel good to throw unsubstantiated gratuitous insults at me when you realised that you had lost the argument.

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

6. Mangleworzle

I am not writing for the benefit of "my readers" that is your role, you know what you have said, and so do I, that is enough.

Nanook_rubs_it likes this.
  7. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Sorry to hear that. Hope it all goes well for you.

8. florian gassmann

Thank you, burajda.

9. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

I hope everything goes well for you.

10. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

WRONG!
    The Brits wait exactly the same length of time as anybody else from the EEA.

11. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Yes. We actually wait like everyone else from outside the schengen area. But nationals of the UK make up by far the biggest non schengen users of holiday airports in the schengen area. This is simply schengen taking control of its borders. Others have said its down to individual states and how they have provided immigration officials at their own private or state owned airports. So not an EU problem, but an individual state problem. Of course the problem is really on those states who have decided not to join schengen. For schengen citizens there is probably very little delay. But Britain and British citizens are certainly not being punished or penalised in any way.

12. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

If all we can do for the next few months is speculate about the UK post-Brexit, I am wondering why the thread title is 'Leaving the EU, the good news for a change.'

Because there is no news. Is there? :confused:

Mangleworzle and Moony like this.
  13. florian gassmann

They wait the same length of time as anybody from ANY country outside of Schengen - Americans, Canadians, Japanese, Australians, Indians .......

But it varies enormously between airports. As I said, Paris Charles de Gaulle is running fine, Paris Orly is stuffed. Some managements have got themselves sorted; other haven't.

14. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

You do of course realise that the line I've indicated with 1s contradict that with the 2.
    For example there have been spells of mass unemployment pretty often over the last few hundred years.

15. Geoff Thomas

If they arrive from outside Schengen, they are in the same queue as all other EEA citizens.

More bouncing objects from a breckshitter.

16. florian gassmann

It depends entirely on the airport. Many (most, in fact) do not have the facilities to separate Schengen and non-Schengen arrivals - in any case, they could all be on the same plane! - so you get this sort of confusion:

upload_2017-8-5_18-32-48.jpeg

Does it give you some sort of weird satisfaction to be rude to other TES members?

Oscillatingass likes this.
  17. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Don't forget to post on here ASAP afterwards!

Best wishes!
    S

18. florian gassmann

Thanks Scint, I very much hope that I'll be able to, but it's all a bit serious (the macula as well as the retina is detached), and I have been warned that visual impairment is likely even if the op is successful. Apparently the cause is simply old age - they don't warn you of this when they tell you everyone is living longer! I suppose there could be worse things to drop off ...

19. Geoff Thomas

Which was the point I made. Each planeload of passengers is fed into the arrivals building either via a route involving travel documents or via a route not involving travel documents.

The citizenship of the passenger does not matter. The airport from which the aircraft departed does.

Do you understand yet?

(And i don't know where you found that photograph, but it's like no arrivals hall I have ever seen.)

20. Geoff Thomas

Ah. I've found the newspaper article which had the pic. The story reads as follows (in translation):

"The government decided on Friday that a passport check should be introduced for travelers in and out of the Schengen area.
    This case is about:

The EU
    Terrorism
    The war on terror
    Per-***** Amundsen
    - Norway follows the EU which implemented the change earlier in April. However, if the Storting agrees, we will enter the full IDs check of this group of travelers. This is done to prevent terrorism and enhance security for the citizens, "says Peris Amundsen, Deputy Minister of Justice.

The Schengen cooperation came into force in 1995 and passport freedom between countries is the core of the cooperation.

Today, the agreement includes 26 countries in Europe. Among the non-participating countries are the countries:

* UK, Ireland, Turkey and Croatia, which have daily direct connections from Norway and are among Norwegians favorite destinations.

* Cyprus, Romania, Bulgaria, the Balkan countries and the far east of Europe do not participate in the cooperation.

Are you going to these countries, you leave the Schengen area.

The change is already introduced Monday. This means that if you are going to or from a country outside of Schengen, your ID documents will be checked against EU registries.

- Now it's important to remember the passport when traveling. While it was formerly summary ID checks at airports, all who come from or traveling to a country outside of Schengen should be checked. One wants to catch up with any foreign warriors traveling to Syria via Turkey. For example, in the new system, everyone traveling to and from Turkey will be checked. This also applies to Norwegian citizens, says Amundsen."

See?

It's about point of departure and point of arrival.

Maybe you should edit less severely next time?