1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving the EU., the good news (for a change).

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lexus300, Aug 4, 2017.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Good luck FG, hope it goes well for you.

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Could you publish that widely, please?

sabrinakat likes this.
  3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Many Industries
    Fishing
    SME., Competitiveness due to EU rules and regulations
    All the net contributions over the 40 odd years

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Like the remarkably close call that the referendum was, which relied on old people who didn't normally vote going out and young people not being engaged. A vote that wouldn't have led to a one day teachers strike. A very small majority almost entirely met by remainers.

Don't see you questioning that though.

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Well they have declared we are leaving which to me is good to hear
    They are negotiating...the effectiveness of which one cannot tell yet because they seem to be ***** footing around each other.
    We finally have a government that listened to the majority....whether they have the backbone to see it through or fail because they are weak is to be seen.It seems that in Labour they want to ignore the voters and still say in the EU
    We are finally, we hope, about to make out own decisions and not be ruled by EU laws, control courts and regulations unless it suits us.
    We can look forward to choosing who fishes in our water, although Gove, as usual, is confusing issues.
    We can look after our own finances once the issues are resolved
    We will be in control who stays and leaves.....so bringing in those who want to work and not those who arrive and may not want to work.We might then be able to stabilise the massive strains going on on our services and establish better working systems( obviously with will and cash supplied).
    We will. I believe, be able to stand on our own and prove we are not tied to EU commands and laws and edicts. Yes, the EU parliament is elected by their own countries, but they do not all fight for the better of the EU, rather for the better of each country they represent.Just as we do... the difference is this time we do not have to listen unless it suits us.
    To me these are positives.but in the balance of life, not all will run smooth and I am sure there is many an argument and discussion in between.I believe in my country and its peoples to make and forge our own independent identity within the world.
    It doesn't mean we leave Europe.but rather work independent of it but for our mutual good.

6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

7. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

One day I hope to find something new and interesting in these threads.
    I'll keep looking

sabrinakat likes this.
  8. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

Chance would be a fine thing!

9. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

You mean, like before we joined the Common Market?

One word: Iceland

That didn't go well for the UK, did it?

FrankWolley likes this.
  10. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Day by day, the disaster grows.

What a mess

[​IMG]

FrankWolley likes this.
  11. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Which industries?

Oh with the SMEs you know that leaving the EU will mess up the current ones right?

12. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

It was only the majority of those that voted, not the majority of the country. Yes there were those that did not vote but also those that could not vote.

13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

May not be all who voted..but in any election only those who do vote are counted..and the reality is those to dont are simply ignored.
    Those who voted the majority said out....and was a far bigger turn out than for any election party.A huge momber of folk voted and flexed thier electoral muscle and the rest ,as would be in any other election, are left unable to comment as they didnt use their right to vote on it.
    Wmany a battle was fought by groups to see 'ordinary folks ' get the right to vote( leaving aside the disenfranchised (who can't for a number of reasons)......the problem is many don't.( and there many possible legitimate reasons why, but you can not solve all of them as the citizen should have voted if he felt passionate about it.

14. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Oh no we won't
    Once more with feeling!! :mad:

Moony likes this.
  15. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Except I didn't just talk about the that didn't vote, I mentioned those that could not. As in the entire population of the country that was, at least at the time, under 18 years of age as well as those that might have been living overseas in the EU itself!

16. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Only if you can find something more plausible than you have managed so far. ;)

Which says:
    The ONS says around 117,000 EU citizens left the UK in 2016, an increase of 31,000 on 2015 and the highest recorded estimate since 2009.

Here it is (the black line) in graphic format. Who was jumping up and down in 2009 saying the UK is doomed because EU citizens were leaving in unprecedented numbers? Were you? The number leaving in 2009 was greater than in 2016.

upload_2017-8-5_7-35-53.png

Behind a paywall (do you see why your examples are unconvincing? :rolleyes:)

No, I am not denying anything. I am just saying that you have provided two more examples that don't work - the first negates your claim that Brexit has produced negative results by indicating that the same (or actually worse) result was achieved in 2009 and nobody uttered a word; the second because it is unreadable.

Of course, because millions of people have moved house and no what to expect. No country of any size has ever left the EU so the future is unknown. It could be great; it could be bad - although I doubt that there will actualyl be much difference.

Are you afraid of change, perhaps? I envisage ...

Columbus: It is fourteen hundred and ninety two: shall I sail the ocean blue?
    Mangleworzle: NO DON'T DO IT! Nobody knows what's on the other side. You might fall off the edge!

Or perhaps, more domestically, you book a holiday. It might be sunny; it might rain for two weeks; the resort might even suffer some disaster. Are you the sort of person who says, "Don't take a holiday - it's not worth the risk"?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    oldsomeman likes this.
  17. florian gassmann

You have omitted the part which adds that this was the highest estimate since 2009 (when the number of EU citizens leaving the UK was actually higher than 2016 (see graph above)). People come; people go.

18. florian gassmann

Eh? Where do you get this nonsense? The schedule of talks was published a couple of months ago. The next round takes place during the week beginning 28th August.

Another round follows during the week beginning the 18th September.

The nezt round after that begins in the week beginning 9th October.

19. florian gassmann

Thank you. I go under the knife at 7.30 on Tuesday morning (let's hope the surgeon is fully awake by then). Can't say I'm looking forward to it, but it has to be done.

20. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

May be some tough choices coming on this question...

Without Irish unification, a hard Brexit is impossible
    Any additional border controls would further isolate the north’s struggling economy. The DUP must fight for a single market and open borders

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/04/ireland-border-eu-brexit-unification

Given that May (apparently) and the Brexit 'hard liners' in the Tories want a 'hard' Brexit come what may (no pun intended), maybe they'll regard Irish Unification a s a price worth paying?