1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving the EU., the good news (for a change).

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lexus300, Aug 4, 2017.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The floor is yours

Give us all the positive things so far

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

ONE person (out of 3,200,000) decides to return to Denmark because she feels unloved. Had you provided evidence that even 1% of EU citizens in the UK (32,000) had left, I might have been persuaded that a mini-crisis was brewing ...

Not even an EU citizen. :D

Same case as your first (the unloved Dane). I thought you might at least find 32,000 cases but you seem only to have found one, which you then repeat to big up your case as if it is something new. :(

How can you possibly know it "wouldn't have happened otherwise"? As I have pointed out to you many times now, much greater fluctuations in the base rate have happened all the time for nothing to do with Brexit.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Do you really not understand that NO results of Brexit, whether positive or negative, are likely to be known for well over a year yet?

PS You still haven't told us whether or not you have read the government white paper on Brexit.

lexus300 likes this.
  4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Surprised how far you took the "I don't know what you mean?" pretence FG.

Want some more:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-policies-general-election-2017-a7754796.html

https://www.ft.com/content/a37c2aee-565f-11e7-80b6-9bfa4c1f83d2

You'll deny it all though.

Mr. Carney said so:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/aug/04/bank-of-england-cuts-uk-interest-rates

The negatives are - see above, you might be looking in the other direction but it doesn't make them go away. There are bigger things looming too.

It really is up to the leavers to prove to us how it will be positive, why can't you if it will? It implies you cannot because it won't be.

Lets say I buy a house at the other end of the country and decide to move myself and family there. I will have some DEFINITE ideas of how it will be better. I don't know how I'll get on with the neighbours, I'm not sure if the nearby shops will be as good as those I am leaving, but I can get an idea of the latter.

In particular when my wife asks me what will be better I NEED to be able to give her some things to balance leaving a part of the country we know and are familiar with, jobs, friends, family etc. things like:
    • I have a new job there - it pays more/is what I always wanted to do/has more prospects etc.
    • The house is nicer than our current one - look here are some pictures, I might even take her to see it.
    • It is a cheaper area to live - look at the council tax rate, look at the price of shopping and fuel.
    • It has better transport links than where we are now.
    • It is in a city/the countryside where we have always wanted to be.
    Are you leavers getting the idea?

The only thing I'm really getting is that the leavers are hoping there will be fewer foreigners, that's it. Everything else is on a par with "we hope the neighbours will be nice" which is rather less than I would owe my wife and family if I made the move, my own stupid enthusiasm for possibly nice neighbours isn't going to be good enough.

I'm also starting to get the feeling that "You'll have to wait and see" will turn into "Well it's too late to do anything about it now, but Jim next door isn't too bad, when he's sober".

5. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

I think that is your own prejudice.

florian gassmann and lexus300 like this.
  6. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

The effects of brexit have begun to hit, there is a decline in science funding from the EU due to the fact that more of the people that turned out to vote voted to leave the EU.

The fact is that leaving the EU will deprive many in the country of their EU citizenship and the connected right to live and work in 27 other countries.

I'm currently studying part time with the hope to change careers, the fallout from those two things alone may well make me one of those that lose study or work opportunities because of this. With less science funding coming into this country there is, for every hopeful, the reduced chance of getting a funded PhD. The jobs that I am interested in attempting to pursue some that are on the continent, again this would effect others, the loss of EU citizenship will mean a harder time to get those jobs as people with EU citizenship would be the first choice for the roles.

7. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

The ONS says around 117,000 EU citizens left the UK in 2016, an increase of 31,000 on 2015

The Office for National Statistics estimated long-term net migration to be 248,000 in 2016, down a "statistically significant" 84,000 from 2015.

The net change was driven by a big increase in EU citizens leaving the country as well as a smaller fall in people coming to the UK.

9. elledriver

So should he for making terrible music centres.

10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

What a cheap and crappy swipe. It's the only consistent thing I see from the leavers, that and "We don't know - wait and see", makes you wonder why they voted leave if they can't say how it will be better.

11. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I can't apply for British citizenship until April 2019.

I know that I have mentioned several times over the past year or so, my own struggles with the Home Office in first rejecting my application (with a part of the letter, suggesting voluntary deportation and that my then three year old's right to have his mother was not an infringement of his human rights), my MP got involved and after nearly 18 months of worry, anxiety and fear (every night with a sickening feeling in my stomach and panic attacks) that I would be refused the Residence Card. I complained to Cameron, who referred my letter to the Home Office, Theresa May as Home Secretary didn't even bother to acknowledge mine or my MP's letters and ultimately, it was the threat of fines by the EU Rights Clinic that finally prompted the Card being issued.

Who do I ask for help in April 2019? {edit: I wrote 2016!)

12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

So much has already been lost over the last 40 odd years:(

13. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Like what?

catmother likes this.
  14. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Nothing wrong with that
    It is when you do it into the wind that it causes all sorts of problems

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    CraigCarterSmith likes this.
  15. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Surveys and polls are not evidence, they are a selective snap shot in time. Even the weather can change the result! If you want to believe in fairy tales and panic-mongering go ahead, 2019 will sort that out. I wish it could be sooner.

16. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Our debt just got smaller in relative terms, was that the plan?

17. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Speculators rule the money markets and the fall will in time be cancelled out. Currency values are relative to the dollar mainly and who knows where the dollar wil end up once it is realised that the USA will never be able to pay their borrowings back. Currency markets are volatile, we are down now, we wil be up again later and down and up.....
    That is how it goes, peaks and troughs with speculators making lots of currency at everyone's expense.
    Brexit is a very minor irritation when you look at the history of the currency fluctuations.

18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Now there is a thought;)

19. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

We might walk before then.

20. elledriver

If you that immigration is the sole reason that people voted to leave. I don't think you looked very hard.

lexus300 likes this.