1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving the EU., the good news (for a change).

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lexus300, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

We're hoping to avoid the worst sort of Brekshit... the walk off and stick it to man, down with foreigners, I don't care if we lose jobs, we got our country back, we need more Dunkirk spirit, it wasn't like this in my day - Brekshit that many of you seem to crave. The only good part is it's taken you away from the marathon 40+ year moan you had about the EU.

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The UK went to an enormous amount of trouble to opt out of Schengen. Why on earth would we wish to join? As I pointed out, Schengen has borken down in 6 countries already. People don't actually like the idea of criminals and terrorists coming and going unchecked.

None provided.

As I said, a change of one quarter of one percentage point is insignificant compared with the way interest rates swung between 5% and 17% during the years we were in the common market.

As you yourself say, they fear unnecessarily.

Do you consider all of us who voted remain to be Little Englanders ?

No, the fall was undoubtedly triggered by the referendum vote, but the pound would inevitably have fallen sooner or later because it was very over-valued.

lexus300 likes this.
  3. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I'm just wondering when I can have my country back...

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've never believed that argument about the pound falling because it was overvalued.

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

You will not find me disagreeing with that comment but by the same token others do not have to believe the pessemistic view and apparent disasters about to befall the nation,as posulated by some on here.
    If we see the future with rosy tinted glasses than we are entitled to the view..yours is to prove it wrong with facts and not opinion( even if in due course your opinions become reality)
    Condemming the actions of a government is not enough,quoting the view of some person like Chomsky is not enough, having a view tinted by personal experinces is not enough..We may well reget Brexit..I personally hope we will not.. but the truth is NOT yet revealed.Even if we believe we can predict or see future diasters looming on the horizon.

lexus300 likes this.
  6. oldsomeman

7. florian gassmann

Well, it was the IMF who said in 2015 that the pound was over-valued by up to 15%. Just before the referendum last year they adjusted that to say that sterling was overvalued by up to 20%.

Still, who believes the IMF, even if it did turn out that they were only out by 2% ?

8. Mangleworzle

Go and look at the thread you replied to earlier. Are you really pretending not to know about something so it can pointed out to you twice in one day by two different people? Is your level of integrity so low that you think that is a good game to play?

Lol - really!? You're comparing what may well have been a rise which instead had to be a forced fall to stop the immediate damage done by the referendum, to historical interest rates over more than 40 years? Well that's just a massive misunderstanding at best.
    Mea culpa, I retract the word "unnecessarily" we don't know whether it necessary or not, the fact is we don't know and the fear is real which is the actual point. I know a number of people in this country who are not British who are genuinely concerned about what the future will bring because of Brexit, there is nothing to allay their fears, only last week government ministers were contradicting themselves over free movement across borders.
    Not everyone, why? Do you?
    Utter garbage. There is always someone who "predicts" the pound is about to crash, that we are going to have the hottest or coldest summer or winter on record, whatever happens you can claim "oooh, look, they knew all along..." if you're gullible enough.

Where? I have seen nothing of that on this thread. Just evidence and opinions against the ridiculous assertions of leavers who when pushed to provide some "good news" as claimed, fall back on "We don't know yet", which is the feeblest of arguments.

9. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

If three different interpretations of my 'right to remain' are echoed in one week by members of the current cabinet, guess what? I and thousands of others are living in anxiety and worry - necessarily, because NOTHING has been sorted.

@oldsomeman and I chatted about this yesterday at the tes London meet - I respect that he voted Leave but I still will moan as a re-moaner as this government continues to use us as pawns in an increasingly 'unable to organise a pee-pee up in a brewery' analogy.

I almost didn't get on the mortgage for the house we completed on today - I have excellent credit, a permanent job, some savings, no benefits, etc because I am here under the auspices of the EU. Another bank did put me on the mortgage as my employer stated that they could get a work permit for me if necessary.

Here's the fun bit: I have a 5-year Residence Card, which expires in December 2020, but as I legally entered in April 2014, I can apply for permanent residency in April 2019. Guess when Brexit is to happen? March....2019. What's the cut off? Possibly....March 2019. When can I apply for citizenship? April 2019. Still no answers, no clarification, nothing.

:(

chelsea2 likes this.
  10. oldsomeman

evidence? how can it be evidence when its not happened? 'We do not know' is not weak ,its reality which is more than some of the views postuated on this subject since the election.
    You selectively choose the bits you dislike.....but I have stated, if you read my comment, that you might well be correct in the end... and as more 'eveidence comes to light, or can be shown, then you might well make a better case to argue for its failure or disaster you seem intent on protraying.

11. florian gassmann

If you think you have evidence (not hearsay, but evidence) please provide it. I'm not going to waste time running around finding threads that you can't be bothered to quote.

I am comparing a miniscule drop of one quarter of one percventage point, which the BoE now says may need to be reversed, with historic fluctuations of up to 48 times that amount. You really are onto a loser if you think that such a tiny fluctuation in interest rates is of huge significance.

If they are committed to the UK, they can always take out British citizenship. Just for your information, my eldest son emigrated to the USA and, to show his commitment to his adopted country, he took out American citizenship. The result of EU freedom of movement means that nobody has to show any commitment if they don't wish to - they can just arrive uninvited and then demand that they have permanent right of residence for themselves and offspring for evermore. It is not a system designed to create happy communities.

Nobody did that. The IMF said that it was over-valued and many financial experts agreed.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

A full year plus on from the referendum we still have a government who cannot decide on virtually any aspect of Brexit.

Anyone listen to the Irish premier today ?, it's getting embarrassing.

I'm actually getting more than a bit tired of the complacency of the leave brigade. Don't worry it will all be fine.

It's callled p*****G in the wind gentleman.

CraigCarterSmith and sabrinakat like this.
  13. florian gassmann

Could that just possibly be because the matter has not yet been agreed by the EU?

Just as a small hint: the UK does not get to dictate how EU citizens will be treated after Brexit; it is a matter yet to be negotiated with the EU.

(I do appreciate that not knowing something causes worry - but that is life. Currently I have no sight in my left eye due to a fully detached retina. Will I be able to see in the future or will I become partially blind? I have no idea. I have to wait for an exploratory operation and then discussion with my consultant. NOTHING has been sorted. I just have to wait.)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    lexus300 likes this.
  14. florian gassmann

Have you not read the 12 points in the government white paper, published in February?

Yes, after just one full week of talks and with 17 months to go, he said "time is running out"..

Yes, someone ought to tell him that time will be running out in 2019 but time has hardly started yet.

15. oldsomeman

I respect you opinion and as I said then and now..this is an area of potential diaster..but not fully down to Bexit but the failure of civil servants and by arguement , the Government.The failure is to be sensible , pragmatic and realist...its setting targets and agendas which cannot seemingly be met..You are not alone....although I appreciate for you its is uniquely affecting your life.
    I do not have an answer, without a pressure group with some clout who can influence opinion and change views. Yet do feel for you. There are always 'victims' in any changes and I hope you mange not to be one

sabrinakat likes this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Tick Tock Tick Tock

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The next scheduled talks are in....October (possibly)

Another 3 months.

Tick Tock Tick Tock

18. florian gassmann

Oh dear ....

19. Mangleworzle

Lol - I never thought of you as being grumpy and pouty, but here you go:

http://blog.independencelive.net/th...t-danish-lene-moves-back-home-after-33-years/

and

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...e-forced-to-quit-uk-because-of-visa-nightmare

the thread:

https://community.tes.com/threads/b...d-calamity-will-follow-article.761120/page-21

Your reply is post #418, so why did you pretend not to know what I was talking about? Little Englander response btw.
    It is of significance, it was done to prevent damage from the referendum, it wouldn't have happened otherwise, your acceptance is acknowledged.

Everyone? are you sure of that? Can you reassure them that it will happen? No one can, that's the point.
    Ah, not a prediction then, but a prediction after the event, I see, nothing to do with the referendum. It belongs to the la-la-land of the OP.
    Exactly - nothing good has come of the referendum yet, but negatives have.

20. oldsomeman

And which group is quoting all the nagatives....?