1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving the EU., the good news (for a change).

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lexus300, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Yet the negatives have been happening for some time now.
    Apart from the negatives that have been happening for some time now.

"We won't see anything positive - maybe - until it's too late to change our minds" requires a great leap of faith, not a basis that I have ever lived my life on and no way to run a country.
    Evidence is "utter boll*cks" is it? No wonder you were so easily fooled, more evidence in the la-la-land OP.

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

What I love best is how even the Cabinet and within one week, there were three different solutions to EU free movement issue for those of us who are here (legally) in the UK under the umbella of EU legislation - now that's fun!

3. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

At this point leaving or staying will have a negative impact on the economy, hell we've already had Science funding effected as there is less new EU money for science coming into the country. My non economist gut is rumminating that if we can pull of not leaving that is likely to have the least damaging effect, yes there'll be a loss in confidence etc but still being part of the club will mitigate against some of that and with luck give us a quickler upturn. If we're out then it's worse, out in the cold and even 'friends' looking at how they can maximise the **** out of them getting the bet deal.

4. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

It frequently still is

Yes I've seen a lot of selective quoting on other sites (and sometimes even on here)
    Where possible I like to inform and keep some sense of balance.
    Sometimes I fail

5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I'm only seeing four escaping. Is this due to the cutbacks or has one drowned?[/QUOTE]

Oh dear - don't you remember the fifth member - dear old Timmy, the dog. Probably stuck in quarantine once we're out of the EU.

sabrinakat and Moony like this.
  6. Didactylos4

Probably still waiting for the results of the blood test ;):rolleyes:

sabrinakat likes this.
  7. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Or became ill and died after eating chlorinated chicken from the states.....

8. Eflmeister

Eflmeister Occasional commenter

Erm, where's the news here then? I thought news meant actual events had happened and were being reported on. Silly me not understanding the meaning of such a simple word :confused:

sabrinakat likes this.
  9. Didactylos4

Or died after getting access to that famously strong European Chocolate

Proper dark chocolate nearly did for me once
    You've heard the phrase "the bottom just dropped out of my world?"
    In my case it was the other way around

10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Give us some actual examples (and I won't accept the fall in value of sterling because that was predicted long before Brexit, due to sterling being grossly over-valued for many years).

sabrinakat likes this.
  11. Mangleworzle

Lol - Examples apart from actual examples then? There is always someone predicting the fall or rise of the markets or currency, so I don't accept your premise that because we "knew" it would happen it doesn't count, it does count and is a biggie. It has impacted the cost of many goods and tourism from the day after the referendum - funny if it was going to happen anyway it just happened to do so the day after and has stayed down since.
    • Problems with movement across borders - do you watch the news?
    • Problems in recruiting expert scientific and medical experts as evidenced on here by a number of posters.
    • Bank of England taking compensatory action to avoid economic problems by cutting interest rates - you may be well off enough to enjoy getting the best rates that make no difference as a recreational activity, others will be more significantly affected.
    • Fears as to their residency status by many foreign nationals living here - "I'm alright jack - and I assure you, you might be too and if not it's because you deserve not to be" is another biggie for those it affects.
    Of course you will probably dismiss these because, well because We got our country back! - innit.

Update - recent claims of "Good news" about Brexit found to be false after no evidence was provided to back them up.

hplovegame48 and sabrinakat like this.
  12. florian gassmann

Nothing to do with Brexit. The problems apply to people from countries that are not in Schengen (which is most of the world). Even if the UK was to remain in the EU, the problems would still be there - so, nothing to do with Brexit.

Anecdotal. Can you provide evidence?

By one quarter of one percentage point - and now they say the rate needs to rise. This is nothing compared with the way interest rates have fluctuated in the past (including the 45 years since joining the common market):

upload_2017-8-4_16-32-44.png

People having fears is not EVIDENCE of a negative outcome for the country.

Because they are lacking in substance. You are simply proving my point that nothing of significance has happened yet. Crikey, there's only even been one full week of talks so far. There's a year and a half to go. Be patient.

lexus300 likes this.
  13. Mangleworzle

You reckon? If we were in Schengen it wouldn't be a problem, we could join Schengen - oh we we're leaving! Then again Switzerland, Norway and Iceland are in, so maybe all is not lost.

You could look at the links on other threads that you have in fact replied to - to dismiss of course, being biased.
    It went down when it could have gone up, again you are simply dismissive because it suits you.
    It is the people and their fears that is the problem. Some who have lived here for years, decades, productively and positively fear for their future unnecessarily, then again they are foreigners and you're alright, you have shown yourself to be uncaring in this regard previously. "Not everything that matters can be measured."
    Lol - because you are looking the other way, away from things that don't suit your Little Englander, I'm alright Jack mentality.
    Crikey, it's over a year and a month since the referendum and STILL it's all pie-in-the-sky against the evidence that leaving will be the best thing to do, nothing positive to rely on AT ALL!

I opened this thread with a degree of optimism expecting to see something genuinely positive - but no, just empty pollyanna rhetoric.

p.s. you have neglected to acknowledge the massive effect of the falling pound, wasn't the timing a curious coincidence? The wealthy with stock market investments have done well, while everyone has faced higher prices or smaller pack sizes for all sorts of goods, not to mention the costs of going abroad.

Untitled-1.jpg

14. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

If you mean the border control at airports within the Schengen zone, then this is simply incorrect.

It applies to everybody, regardless of citizenship, arriving at a zone frontier from without the zone - so includes all Schengen citizens.

15. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

The reality of the airports is that despite 6 months warNing of changes many of the EU state ignored the warning......such is the efficiancy of the EU. That the British wait longer is because we are not a member of the Schengen zone so have to pass greater security checks.....but with French and Spanish failing to provide greater security cover in the forn of border guards..but it might be a foretatse of the pettiness that might result from BRXIT
    We so love out Spanish and French cousins dont we lol,,,,,maybe make EY commission folk long periods wil gear the EY council to chase those who ignored the warning.

16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

As to leaving..I wish it would hurry up and depart...and least would give you re-moaners new sources of things to moan about. Frank would be in wonder land (without Alice of course.)
    At the moment the EU seems to be tottering and lots of conflicts are there ..but I see you still want us to be part of the crumbling structure and hope we can survive that.As for your warnings, the speculators can do only that....its project fear in new ways........but as I have said before, in reality, you haven't a clue as you or the country has never done a thing like this before.
    Papers might ask question's but in reality, I never trust surveys( they as bad as horrorscopes)....had they been true Labour might be in power and we would be re-voting or thay would keep us in there as most of their MP's seem to think that what we should be doing

lexus300 likes this.
  17. florian gassmann

Only correct if the Schengen citizen has travelled outside the Schengen area (*).

However, it is still nothing to do with Brexit. Where airports have no upgraded their systems, Australians travelling to France are inconvenienced, Canadians travelling to Germany are inconvenienced, and so on. Neither Australia nor Canada are in the EU. Nothing to do with Brexit, all to do with being (like most of the world) outside Schengen.

(*) Although Schengen has broken down in some EU countries, including Denmark-Sweden, Denmark-Germany, France and Austria, so there are actually additional checks at some border points even for Schengen citizens.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  18. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Insults aside, just because the voting has been and gone doesn't mean that the politics etc just stops. This is still valid even today.

19. catmother

catmother Star commenter

And so much will have been lost.

Moony likes this.
  20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

So many people will have been lost too as they move away back to Europe and elsewhere.

But don't forget - we will have our country back (even if it doesn't function properly anymore)