1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving the EU., the good news (for a change).

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lexus300, Aug 4, 2017.

1. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

tbf it depends who's saying it, if its a progressive (Labour) or a woman (TM) forget it

if its a liar (Boris) or a man (Boris)

it's A-OK

A Brexit Play in 2 acts

Deal? we don't need a deal its Vassal state stuff, borders we don't need borders how dare TM try and inflict Borders down the irish sea WHAT ABOUT THE UNION!, we hold all the cards, No Conservative PM would ever vote for anything like this deal BOOO DOWN with May and her silly capitulation of extension she's WEAK...WEAK I TELL YOU!

Extensions, awful stuff, evil shes useless there's Boris he means it, see no extensions! "Dead in a ditch" he says I trust him a man who is as principled as me

Well....i mean we need an extension after all, but see he didn't actually ask for it. sure the letter came from the PM of GB and NI but see he didn't sign it sooo...and it makes perfect sense to have a border down the Irish sea, Union? no of course it's just a strong, this is whats best for the UK, The Scots want the same deal...oh no that can't happen because, well i mean it could threaten the union, even break it up......but whats happening in NI no that's fine...why you ask? oh erm Did you see what Megan Markle did recently

*retreats to rented accommodation they pay waaaay too much for, cause Rent Control and lack of housing and proceeds to cry and moan on Workplace dilemmas because they voted for a party that systematically destroyed the national public service and the career path they choose, but its got to be someone else's fault....maybe brown people or the Polish voice in Tesco*

(BLACKOUT)

:rolleyes::D:p

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

• In the three months to December 2019, the quantity bought in retail sales decreased by 1.0% when compared with the previous three months.

• All sectors except household goods stores and fuel saw a decline in the quantity bought for the three-month on three-month movement; driven mainly by non-food stores at negative 1.0%.

• The quantity bought in December 2019 fell by 0.6% when compared with the previous month; the fifth consecutive month of no growth.

• The quantity bought in food stores fell by 1.3% for the monthly growth rate, which was the largest fall since December 2016, also at 1.3%.

• Comparing the three months to December 2019 against the same three months a year ago, growth in the quantity bought increased by 1.6% in December 2019, despite a strong decline of 2.2% for department stores.

• Online sales as a proportion of all retailing was 19.0% in December 2019, compared with the 18.6% reported in November 2019.

• https://www.ons.gov.uk/businessindustryandtrade/retailindustry/bulletins/retailsales/december2019

monicabilongame likes this.
  3. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

The UK voice drowns out the others.

4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Tell the SNP.

5. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

People might have started to save instead of spend?

6. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

I suppose this is 'good news' - except for all those who lose their jobs, of course:

Savid Javid warns there will be 'no alignment' on EU regulations after Brexit

Chancellor admits some businesses may not benefit from Brexit but tells FT the economy will benefit in the long term

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...e-no-alignment-on-eu-regulations-after-brexit

Perhaps the Chancellor forget this:

"In the long run we are all dead. Economists set themselves too easy, too useless a task, if in tempestuous seasons they can only tell us, that when the storm is long past, the ocean is flat again". J.M Keynes

7. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

This young lady has restored my faith in the younger generation:

A bitter lesson in EU politics.

9. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

And more...

In Brussels there is a strong sense that the Tories have not woken up to the trade offs and compromises that will inevitably characterise the talks. Officials believe the UK has only tuned into two aspirations agreed by all - the need for zero tariffs and zero quotas on goods.

These EU officials fear the UK has not focused on a third EU demand - no dumping. That means that if the UK wants zero tariffs and zero quotas it cannot embark on social dumping - gaining a competitive advantage over the EU by cutting labour and environmental standards and lowering taxes.

Senior UK officials say they understand exactly what the EU is saying.

One tells me: "We understand the EU is nervous about having a big economy on its doorstep that could undercut it by reducing standards. But we're not bothered. We want to do our own thing. Lots of our standards will be better."
    ….

"Boris can say to the EU: you know I was prepared for the original no deal last year but was thwarted by parliament which blocked no-deal. I am now prepared for a WTO no-deal [trading on WTO terms in the event of no trade deal] which isn't so bad and I can do what I like in Parliament. So it is a credible threat."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-polit...cs&link_location=live-reporting-correspondent

anotherauntsally and chelsea2 like this.
  10. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Why the SNP ? I think all devolved parliaments are aware.

anotherauntsally likes this.
  11. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The mouthiest first:p

12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The EU wants a deal just as much as we do and it is in their interests just as much as it is in ours.
    There are no special cases where trade is concerned, it is a mutual back scratching exercise otherwise WTO.

13. harsh-but-fair

Philip Hammond, the previous chancellor, fought to maintain alignment with the EU but Mr Javid made it clear that the Treasury was now under new management. He suggested being comfortable with some companies suffering from Brexit. “There will be an impact on business one way or the other, some will benefit, some won’t,” he added. But Mr Javid said the important thing was that companies had certainty and should get on with preparing for the new trading relationship.

The chancellor hinted at more tax rises to come in either of the upcoming Budgets, saying he was determined to take the “hard decisions you need to sometimes [take], especially at the start of a new government”.

https://www.ft.com/content/18ddc610-3940-11ea-a6d3-9a26f8c3cba4

14. Morninglover

Sajid Javid said in 2016: “..I still believe that Britain is better off in (EU). And that’s all because of the Single Market. It’s a great invention, one that even Lady Thatcher campaigned enthusiastically to create.”

Now pushing for complete opposite.

15. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-polit...PbedjIbmVWgEn8jOgeEve6P3aAE3dBN5KA0HKHklhobkQ

"There will be an impact on business one way or the other, some will benefit, some won't," he told the paper.

He used Japan's car industry as an example of a manufacturing sector which found success without following EU rules.

Asked how differing regulations between the UK and EU may impact industries such as automotive and pharmaceuticals, he said: "We're also talking about companies that have known since 2016 that we are leaving the EU.

"Admittedly, they didn't know the exact terms."

Which is rather the point isn't it - if they didn't know the exact terms (no-one did) then they couldn't plan or make provision for the impact.

16. Morninglover

Saw this Tweet:

"Watching @BBCNews reporting on potential loss* of EHIC card, free mobile roaming, pet passports, recognition of driving licences etc due to #Brexit. Don’t remember them bringing that home to people pre-Ref 2016 or in last 3.5 years".

*Naturally it will be EU’s fault of course!

monicabilongame and chelsea2 like this.
  17. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Personal debt at record levels and rising. Not much opportunity to save for millions once the rent has been paid.

18. harsh-but-fair

Not much incentive to save given the state of interest rates.

lexus300, border_walker and burajda like this.
  19. harsh-but-fair

20. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Farage and Widdy will be missed at the European Parliament.