1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving the EU., the good news (for a change).

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lexus300, Aug 4, 2017.

1. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Some of them are healthier than others. Due to the wealth and health injustices we have allowed to develop in our country, on average, the older Remainers will probably live longer than the Leavers.

Burndenpark likes this.
  2. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Yes, because they had everything handed to them on a plate by the Greatest generation, then refused to pay it forward!
    Not really. In a few cases, I'm hoping for Queen mother longevity.
    Haven't you been on to the 'Teaching Abroad' forum?

Burndenpark likes this.
  3. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

PS - that was funny :)

4. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Fixed it for you.

You're welcome.

Burndenpark and lexus300 like this.
  5. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

How on earth do you work that out?
    Everything on a plate!!! details please.
    Refused to pay what forward? Details please.
    My parents were that generation and my Father never fully recovered from his wartime experiences even though he was not seriously physically wounded.
    You have no idea, all you know is the cossetted existence you have received from my generation.

border_walker likes this.
  6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Never.

7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

:)
    You do know that altering statements from others is against TES rules?

sufficient to push the Tories into honouring the CORRUPTED referendum . As you altered.

sufficient to push the Tories into honouring the referendum . Corrected to my original.

The games people play:rolleyes:

8. SineField

SineField Occasional commenter

Its weird isn't it..... after all those lovely, charming, peaceful Remainers were accusing Brexiteers left, right and centre up being:

Racist, fascist, nazis, xenophobic, nationalist, white supremacist, ignorant, uneducated......et al.

And to think lefties are worldwide labelled as snowflakes and hypocrites... tut tut, dear oh dear... I mean where's the evidence eh?!

:cool:

9. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Then you'd know

10. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Britain’s wartime generation are almost as pro-EU as millennials

while over 65s are typically treated as a single category in opinion polls, there are substantial generational differences within this group, with those who lived through the Second World War being far more likely to oppose Brexit.

it was oft repeated that the older generations were more likely to have voted for Britain to leave the European Union. This presents something of a puzzle; why would older generations, likely to have experienced the impact of the war first-hand, seek to remove Britain from an institution that has helped maintain peace in Europe for more than seven decades? Might it be that the ‘over 65s’ category, containing individuals several decades apart in age, conceals distinct generational differences amongst this group?

The results:

[​IMG]

Burndenpark likes this.
  11. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

A typical tangent reply to NOT answer the question.

12. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Only if you deliberately don't want to see the relationship.

13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Answer my questions if you can?
    Reminder:
    How on earth do you work that out?
    Everything on a plate!!! details please.
    Refused to pay what forward? Details please.
    My parents were that generation and my Father never fully recovered from his wartime experiences even though he was not seriously physically wounded.
    You have no idea, all you know is the cossetted existence you have received from my generation.

14. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

That 21% none of it went to other benefits? None of it has been spent on health care for you?

and even if your only claim has been for your pension- what will you be living from after this year if it's not a subsidy from other people?
    Given how happy you are to take a subsidy from others why is it that you object to a rich country like the UK subsidizing poorer ones?

15. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

And looking at current data it looks like older Leavers (who have had an awful lot on a plate) could well have better life expectancies that millennial Remainers.

16. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

A frontrunner to buy British Steel has been deterred by the government’s refusal to provide backing for investment in the Scunthorpe steelworks, amid concern there is just a week left to save the company.

Liberty wants to convert Scunthorpe’s blast furnaces, which make steel from scratch, into more cost-effective electric arc furnaces that can use recycled steel to make similar products.
    The source said there was a “lack of enthusiasm” in government for the steps that would be required to convert the steelworks. Government officials are understood to be unwilling to provide loan guarantees or help retrain staff who might lose their jobs, although such measures are thought to fall within state aid rules.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...r-loses-interest-as-uk-fails-to-offer-support

The brave new world of a new British car industry (or shipbuilding or railways) seems a long way off ...

lexus300 likes this.
  17. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Steel made from recycled steel in part, is not of the same quality as steel made from good basic raw ingredients of iron, carbon, manganese, plus a few others, hence they would not be making similar products of similar quality.
    It certainly appears so or at the very least, Government vision is as usual lacking in 'all respects' where manufacturing is concerned. I find it peculiarly sad that we have lost so much by way of value added manufacturing yet that is not recognized by those in power and even if they do recognize the critical nature of steel making (in this instance) they are doing bu66er all about it other than talk.

18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The 21% was purely my pension contributions (and my employers) into the TPS. NI and PAYE were always on top.

You miss the point on contributions made into TPS., the system has always been that those who are paying in, are paying for existing pensioners, just like I did for 23 years.
    Had that 21% gone into an investment fund the accrued annuity sum would have been considerable, providing a permanent income in perpetuity.
    Anyway, you will be there soon enough and I suspect you will (like all the other pensioner knockers) change your tune when a recipient.
    What gets lost in all the anti-pensioner spite, is the simple fact that a TPS., contract was agreed, written and signed by my employer (the College / LA in my case) and myself, back in 1980's and has been honoured by Government in law.
    That is a contractual agreement and not a subsidy.

border_walker likes this.
  19. jazz2

jazz2 New commenter

I've been away from the forum for a while, but who are these "we" of whom you speak? Who exactly are the "we" positioned to derive these multiple benefits from Brexit? Obviously not the entire existing population of the Untied Kingdom. I do wonder why the rest of the world is going to rush to make trade deals with England on its own.

JL48 likes this.
  20. burajda

burajda Star commenter

The loss you refer to was under our control and delivered by the same globalising free market advocates that are now selling the snake oil of national industrial renew through Brexit.