1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving the EU., the good news (for a change).

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lexus300, Aug 4, 2017.

1. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Fears for 1,700 jobs as Ford set to close Bridgend plant
    I thought that this was supposed to be project fear?

Although to be fair Patrick Minford of "Economists for Brexit" did say it would happen, so some Brexiters seem to have forseen it. Although apparently he says it's supposed to be a good thing, so that will bring the people of South Wales some comfort. After all, a large percentage of them voted Brexit and for the Brexit party, and they knew what they were voting for so must have been expecting this. I guess it's time for them to break out the champagne then!!! Another victory against the smug metropolitan elite! Well done!!

2. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Increase against the Euro and the Dollar.

3. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Brexit wasn't blamed for the closure in Bordeaux or layoffs in Saarlouis. Ford Europe has made a loss since 2017 and the days of the petrol engine are numbered.

border_walker likes this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Are they leaving the EU as well?

5. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

The european head of Ford (and most other car companies, as well as the Japanese govt.) have stated categorically that Brexit is the issue as far as investment into the UK goes.

But there again, I'm sure that you know far more about the car industry than the european head of Ford Motor company . . .

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  6. LondonCanary

It's questionable whether investment in internal combusion engines is the right move in Europe, especially for a loss making enterprise. Ford has been cutting right across Europe to try to acheive a profit. It would be wrong to assume that without Brexit there would be a demand for the Bridgend engines are the plant would continue indefinitley.

7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Here's what Stuart Rowley, the president of Ford of Europe, has just said (I cannot see any mention of Brexit in his statement):

"We are committed to the UK. However, changing customer demand and cost disadvantages, plus an absence of additional engine models for Bridgend going forward make the plant economically unsustainable in the years ahead."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48533790

Ford are cutting at least 7000 jobs across Europe, most of which are NOT in the UK. Go figure.

Jesmond12, LondonCanary and lexus300 like this.
  8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Do you realize that you have spoiled the desired narrative???;)

9. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

The one Patrick Minford of Economists for Brexit espouses? This graph is also quite informative . . .
    [​IMG]

10. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

If you click on my link, there is a whole interview with him talking about it.

11. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

How much of the world wide decrease is down to environmental scaremongering?

12. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

If you mean the link you posted to the video "'No-deal Brexit is not an option for Ford" that is, as it says, about a no-deal Brexit. A no-deal Brexit has not yet been decided upon. Such an event is purely speculation and, as Ford stated on the link you posted, ""We don't comment on speculation."

His comments on a no-deal Brexit seem to have been superseded by falling sales across Europe.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  13. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

No worries - when we leave the EU we can start making and selling our own cars again - apparently (according to a least one poster on here).

Burndenpark likes this.
  14. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Always assuming they remember where they left the magic wand.;)

Burndenpark and JL48 like this.
  15. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Thing is - how can you respond to such insane and farcical nonsense? There's just a complete lack of understanding about how the real world works - mixed with a confused desire to re-run the 1850 to 1950 period. As if that would ever be possible?

I have to say that I don't wonder if a proper hard Brexit isn't the way to go. I think that the country needs the wake-up call.

Burndenpark likes this.
  16. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

That's easy. None.

17. burajda

burajda Star commenter

8 out of 10 made here at the moment are exported and nearly all of those exported are partly assembled abroad. lets hope that arrangement can grow post Brexit.

18. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Correct and we should just switch to electric technology and move with the times. If we had an industrial strategy Britain could be a world leader.

JL48 likes this.
  19. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

It seems unfair that the 48% who voted remain should have to suffer as a consequence.

Burndenpark and JL48 like this.
  20. LondonCanary

Stuart Rowley, president of Ford Europe, told reporters: "This action has nothing to do with Brexit and the simple way to think of that is, if Brexit had never happened, would there be a different decision, and the answer to that is no."
    :)

border_walker and lexus300 like this.