1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving the EU., the good news (for a change).

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lexus300, Aug 4, 2017.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Meanwhile:
    European investors are taking major bets on the UK economy, more than doubling investment in Britain over the past three years.

Uncertainty around Brexit has not stopped companies on the continent from embarking on a major deal spree in the UK, indicating faith in the economy’s long-term prospects among foreign money managers.

Buyers in the EU have snapped up 553 UK assets through mergers and acquisitions and private placements in the past year, according to S&P Capital IQ data.

Purchases of companies, property and stakes in fast-growing firms totalled $31.1bn over the past 12 months.
    Europeans double UK investment since Brexit vote

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Is this an example of 'taking back control'?

monicabilongame and Burndenpark like this.
  3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Just pointing out that business does what it does regardless of the people. Tomorrow they will do what they want as well and the day after. The people are not part of the equation other than to supply cheapest possible labour. Plenty of companies moved abroad or stopped investment before Brexit as they will after and of course reverse that when it suits them.

4. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Britain is a world leader in
    Britain is seen as pretty stable and prices of our assets are seen as quite low at the moment, so profits could be made in the mid term. Investment is always good news, but this will largely benefit London, not Leave voting areas in the North and Midlands. I doubt if much of the investment is in manufacturing.

Burndenpark likes this.
  5. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

You two beat me to it.

I love the consistency of Lexus's thinking.

One also should wonder about the future of these investments- how many will see their trademarks & designs boxed up and shipped out?

monicabilongame likes this.
  6. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Its celebrating that globalisation carries on as normal, with all the benefits it brings to many, but of course many dont benefit at all. The response is to put in more protection from foreign speculators of our assets, regions, farmers, vital industries, small businesses, land, property and workers by curtailing and controling the free international market that Britain has been a prime advocate of. That would make us more like France and less like the USA.

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Who knows where the money will go and therein lies many a tale.

8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

9. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Although, to quote the part of your article you accidentally omitted ...

"Overall, though, the number of nurses, midwives and nursing associates has risen by 8,000 over the past year, the NMC’s figures show, because more of those health professionals who have been trained in the UK have joined the NMC’s register and fewer have left.

The headline total has also been boosted by a big rise in the number of nurses and midwives from outside the EU coming to work in the UK. It has leapt from 2,720 last year to 6,157, an increase of 3,437 (126%)."​

10. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Given controlling immigration was a major factor in many people votong leave, this is a little ironic.

11. florian gassmann

"Controlling immigration" means deciding how many immigrants the UK needs, from where and what skills and/or qualifications they should have. It does not mean "preventing immigration" - even Nigel Farage admits that !!!

So, nothing ironic at all - not even a little ironic. :D

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The UK can happily decide how many immigrants it needs

Whether it will get them is another story.

13. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

It is when health professionals from the EU are leaving because of Brexit to be replaced by health professionals from elsewhere in the world.

14. amoral_savoy_mink

amoral_savoy_mink New commenter

Don't you believe in immigration equality?

15. florian gassmann

Why is that ironic? Are you opposed to health professionals from India or other non-EU countries for some racist reason?

16. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Please don't be insulting.:mad:

17. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Not the point I was making.

18. florian gassmann

Well there must be some reason why you seem to think it "ironic" that non-EU immigrants should be employed in the NHS rather than EU immigrants. Perhaps you don't want to tell us?

border_walker likes this.
  19. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

OK - I'll spell it out.
    The irony is that many people voted for Brexit in order to control immigration.
    What they have got is immigrants from one part of the world leaving, and being replaced by immigrants from other parts of the world.
    I doubt that's what Leavers intended or expected.

20. florian gassmann

Yes, they felt that it should be controlled by the UK government, not by the EU.

Yes, we all know that the NHS depends on immigrants and the UK government (not the EU) has determined that more non-EU professionals should be allowed in to fill vacancies.

I think it is exactly what Leavers (and Remainers) expected. Anyone who has been to a GP, to a health centre or to hospital is likely to know that the UK depends on health workers from overseas.

I see nothing ironic in that. I fear your irony detector may have malfunctioned. :(